1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC intermittently working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ThatCrazyLady, Aug 20, 2019.

1. ThatCrazyLady

ThatCrazyLady Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2008 Prius pkg 6 160k miles origional owner

The AC wants to retire and I'd love to repair. It is not turning on but when he hits the dash it cuts on. At lunch today it didn't work but on the way home, it took a few punches to start. AC runs cold once it starts.

Thoughts? I'm thinking blower motor. How hard is this to do on my own?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or mfd. neither is too big of a job, but diagnosis maybe the hardest part

3. ThatCrazyLady

ThatCrazyLady Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just did the error code check (21 & parked in the garage) and noticed a sharp squeal sound from the engine area when the AC is on.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    21 is a normal code to see if parked in the garage, so it isn't revealing anything. Car has to be in bright light to not have code 21.

Compressor is in the engine area (low and forward) ... blower motor is technically in the cabin, but near the firewall with ductwork leading out, so you could be hearing a squeal from either item. Banging the dash seems more likely to affect the blower motor than the compressor. A mechanic's stethoscope could be one of several diagnostic techniques you could consider to pin things down further.