1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC is automatically ON in AUTO climate control?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Yves Grenier, Nov 12, 2012.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It means the compressor is ready if needed.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If both lights are on, you're in AUTO and the A/C compressor is also in auto mode so it will cycle on and off as necessary to maintain humidity and cooling levels.

If the AUTO light is on but the A/C compressor light is off, then you're in AUTO mode but the A/C compressor will not turn on so if it's warm, the fan will blow on HI.

3. ThaSaint

ThaSaint Go Big Blue!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    So if it's cold outside, I hit auto and keep it on 70 degrees, the AC light is on, but the compressor isn't on, just on standby?

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's correct. If it's needed to adjust the temp in the car, it'll come on.

ThaSaint likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup as I shall demonstrate in the photo I took three years ago.

[​IMG]

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Would that not still cause the compressor to operate and act as a dehumidifier?

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In theory, yes although the manual says it cuts out at 3°C (though I highly doubt that because I've lived in a humid climate where the temperatures are just above freezing and it rains and we definitely need the compressor running to keep the windows clear).

9. Simon's Owner

Simon's Owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was just wondering this very same thing. I live in Wisconsin, and our morning temperatures have been as low as 16 F so far, and the idea that the AC was actually on (it's only a light, I know) really bothered me, so I'd always turn it off (I'm always on ECO mode).

Does having the AC on standby (Auto mode) affect mileage? Does MPG improve if the AC light is turned off?

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to know if the A/C is working in cold temps, just go listen under the hood to see if the compressor is running, it makes noise when on. It will only run down to certain temps, otherwise the system will ice up.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup and if you recirculate (close the outside vent) during winter, you'll want A/C running or the windows will fog up. I close it regularly here because diesel + cold temps = lots of low level NO2 and particulate matter. If it's been cold (-20°C) for over a week, I make it a habit to just close the vents when I travel on one of our below grade highways because it's likely all the crud has pooled into the road as cold air sinks so I'd rather not breathe in all that stuff if possible.

12. Yuval Legendtofski

Yuval Legendtofski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that when I set a temperature, switch on aircon, the thing goes to AUTO, but the fan goes up to high automatically and blow like crazy, so if it says 'Auto' does the fan then regulate once the temperature in the car drops?

Basically whenever it does that I immediately turn the fan down to a level I like, but more importantly to save power!

13. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes, the fan speed will reduce. I usually turn it down right away too. I haven't actually used the automatic climate control nearly as much as I expected.

14. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Funny I'm the opposite... I find AUTO reduces the fan speed too quickly for my tastes - particularly so in ECO mode - so I often turn it up manually at first and then press AUTO and let it dial it back down.

15. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the compressor will run to dehumidify the air. Just assume the compressor is always on with the AC light lit unless outside air temp is "nearly" 32F.

From page 243 of the .PDF form of the manual:

■When the outside temperature falls to nearly 32°F (0°C)
    The dehumidification function may not operate even when A/C is
    pressed.

16. goodwinbc

goodwinbc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    so would the consensus of the group be to leave the auto setting to have the AC come on or have the dealer change that option to not have the the AC come on...just the heat (I am in maine and more interested in heat most of the time rather than cooling )

17. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I want to come back and correct myself, you're right. I must have previously been changing both the fan speed and mode, meaning neither one was still in AUTO. Realized this one day when I truly did change only the mode, and the fan speed went up. My bad :)

18. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting observations. You must live in the prairies to get that cold. ⛄There is no chance of it getting cold in my area however I wonder if anyone has had any experiences with their C in temps this cold. Anyone?

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No worries. Glad it's all cleared up. I guess it's how Toyota design their auto climate control. I haven't had much experience with other makes (my smart only had automatic temperature control).

Yup. First year I got the Prius was when it hit rock bottom.

20. KerryNolan

KerryNolan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I’m still confused, and here’s why I know this is an old thread but it’s my understanding that the Prius accessory battery runs the AC unit but not the heat. In theory then, you could be stuck on a cold night and theoretically continue heating the cabin and not risk draining the 12 volt battery. The engine (if in ready mode) will continue to turn on the ICE to keep the HV battery charged as needed in heat only mode, but you could easily lose 12 volt charge running the AC?