1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC issues on 2010 Prius four

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Filmmaker1225, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Filmmaker1225

Filmmaker1225 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At 85K my AC would not start. Technician found a message that the system responsible was not communicating with the AC. 500.00 later--a new and hard to get part--the message came back that the condenser was essentially dead. Is this a common problem among 2010 Prius? I'm about to replace the entire condenser and a few other parts. Total cost, about 2100.00 Seems uncharacteristic to me.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't seem that common. is this a qualified tech? i wonder if salvage parts would work.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What do you mean it would not start? Fan not blowing? AC blowing hot air?

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think they checked out the WHOLE system.

5. Filmmaker1225

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hot air blowing. He went through it, took the system apart. Freon filled. Seemed unusual to me. compressor is just dead. He's a Toyota certified tech.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you said condenser in post #1

7. Filmmaker1225

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I said condenser, I was wrong. My bad. This whole experience has been mildly disorienting. I take good care of the car and use the AC infrequently. Probably more in the winter to defrost. But, here I am, on the verge of replacing most of the unit.

As for the error code; tech couldn't get the AC to communicate with the system until he replace a part that wasn't responding. He thought that once that part was in, (an unusual replacement that had to be ordered) he'd be able to detect a simple problem and correct. But once the thing started to communicate he discovered the larger issue, which was a compressor that would power off moments after the AC was engaged.

I wish I was better at this, but I'm a writer and filmmaker.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not your fault, it happens. maybe it is better to use them more? i really don't know. sorry to hear it though, very espensive.

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to use the a/c because the system has oil in it. Gravity will work and the oil will
    eventually settle. So when you do use it, there is no oil so it's metal on metal for a short time.
    Which is never good. Using it during the summer helps to keep the HV battery cool.
    And you paid for that compressor, so use it! :)
    I've replaced many compressors on vehicle with low mileage because of lack of use.
    So even in the summer you need to run it for 5-10 minutes so the oil will circulate. It's harder with the
    computers because they sense it's too cold outside so you don't "need" the compressor. Using it on defrost
    works with most compressors.

10. Filmmaker1225

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    update: so now the mechanic is saying he made a mistake. The compressor is ok. He believes that a switch in the dashboard went out because the compressor checked out. More to come.

Thanks so much for the advice above. As I reflect, I do use the AC in summer, but probably not as frequently as most because it doesn't get as steaming hot here, (Bend, Oregon) as it does in other places.

I will report out after the mechanic is through with the job. But turns out it won't be nearly as pricey as he originally thought. The new compressor went back.

And now the forum has sensitized me to other issues, like the EGR. As I get closer to 100K I'll pay attention to seeing that it is cleaned.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i was thrown off by the 'santa monica, ca' in your info.

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad it wasn't the compressor. Big bucks.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm questioning the skill level of this tech. Where did you find him?

There's a shop by usc, hybridfix.com

Avi runs the shop and he probably will be able to sort this out for you. If the AC button doesn't work, should be a cheap fix

I suspect this to be a servo problem, since you don't use it much

#13 JC91006, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Techstream on a laptop has "active tests" that let you wiggle every servo and valve, start and stop the compressor and every blower and fan, and read every sensor, one by one.

For the kinds of things your tech seems to think the problem might be, it should have been possible to decide without moving from the driver's seat, laptop in lap.

-Chap

JC91006 likes this.
  15. Filmmaker1225

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ok, he now says it's a control head inside the dash, and that when that went out it took out an amplifier that sends signals to the diagnostic tools he uses. He's Toyota certified and works on a fleet of Prius taxis up here in Bend. Problem he reported, was that he couldn't get anything but error messages from the air conditioner. Don't ask me to explain it any better; this is not my field of expertise. But when it's done, tomorrow, I'll get a better fix on the situation.

I'm in Santa Monica for about half the year, then the other half up in Bend, Oregon, a much easier place to live.

And thanks for all your attention and good feedback.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Control head inside the dash, sounds like a servo motor. This part is not that expensive. I'm wondering why he's using a "control head" term

This is what controls the heat and cold selection. If it can't move from heat to cold, it won't get cold.

#16 JC91006, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would assume when he says "amplifier" he means the A/C amplifier down below the heater case, and by "control head" he would mean the buttons-and-LCD-display unit on the flying bridge. But I'm guessing.

-Chap

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  18. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I feel like if he misdiagnose your problems, he should refund the part he replaced for you. I hope he didn’t charge you the parts he replaced that was in good working condition.

19. Filmmaker1225

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, Chap, you got it.

ok, the AC is now working. The part that went bad, and I have it here, is the whole control panel with the plasma read out. It's called the "control head" and it cost 500.00 It's odd. The unit is quite large and operates all the functions of heating and cooling.
    I've had a lot of cars and never seen this kind of thing go bad. The part itself is completely sealed and simply fits into the dashboard.

On some level this makes sense because when I pressed the small panel to turn the AC on, nothing happened. I could get air to blow, but nothing in the way of cool air. Apparently this unit talks to another unit that controls the AC, an amplifier Apparently this is an unusual breakdown because he's reported it to the company that makes the diagnostic tool he uses, so they can incorporate it into their software.

At the end of the day, a better outcome than replacing the compressor.

Thanks once again for the feedback. I'll be combing through the gen 3 forums to keep up my preventative maintenance.

And now that the train runs from USC to my apartment in Santa Monica I will take advantage of the hybrid repair guys at USC next time I have a problem and I'm in town. But honestly, life's better in Oregon.

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you got your a/c working! GOTTA have COLD air in the summer!