1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC leak repair question

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ilya980, Jul 19, 2021.

1. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I have 2013 Prius C One and it has a refrigerant leak. AC blows warm air. Compressor runs. I used an electronic leak detector and it tells me that the leak is where the wide hose (low pressure line) connects to the compressor. It is the large diameter hose that is curved behind the blower. I see a lot of black oily grease on the driver side of the compressor too. See photo.

Is there a gasket between the hose fitting and the compressor that I could replace? Where do I get it? Should I take the compressor off and replace the compressor oil? (Would the compressor lose a lot of oil through the leak at this fitting?)

Is the correct part number 90099-14121 ID: 13.4 mm OD 18.2 mm?

As I understand, if I were to replace just the gasket I would recover the remaining refrigerant, if any, then undo just one bolt that holds this fitting, replace the gasket, put it together and then pull the vacuum and recharge. Is that the correct way?

I have the TIS pages for replacing the compressor, but I hope to get away without doing that. It is working now.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

#1 ilya980, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks right to me ... the circled callout 3 at the compressor end of the suction line:

[​IMG]

3. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have a vacuum pump with 1/4'' and 3/8'' male flare connectors. I also have a TPI 605 vacuum gauge with a standard 1/4'' male flare connector. The manifold hoses have 1/4'' female ends. I thought about connecting the hose to 1/4'' male on the pump, but then I need to connect 1/4'' male flare on the TPI 605 to 3/8'' male flare on the pump. How do I do that? Where do I get an adapter for it?

I tried local Ace Hardware, they have a female-to-female adapter 1/4 to 3/8, but the 1/4 female is too big for TPI 605. They said I need 1/8 female on the TPI 605 side. Ace did not have 1/8 female. Local FW Webb has 1/8 female to 1/4 male and then 1/4 female to 3/8 female. 3/8 female fits to the pump, but 1/8 female again does not fit TPI 605. The diameter looks correct, but the thread step seems different. Online search for 1/4 female to 3/8 female mostly shows results similar to Ace, which was too large on the 1/4 side. I am confused.

Thanks.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What manifold set are you using? Every HC134a set that I have seen has 1/2" ACME threads. 1/4" flare is standard on old R12 automotive as well as most stationary systems.
    If your vacuum gauge is 1/4" flare then you can google (HVAC 1/4" flare T) to find an adapter with one female and two male ends to put your gauge inline with the pump outlet.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.