1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Problems — Strange Noises, Hot Air, etc.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wesleyNLC, Nov 24, 2018.

1. wesleyNLC

wesleyNLC New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all. Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Within the last 2 weeks, the AC in our car made a horrible noise. I turned the AC off with the car on, turned the AC back on, and it didn’t work at all. The controls would prompt the screen like normal, but nothing would happen. I turned the CAR off, back on, then the AC worked.

Today, cold air will not blow out of the main or floor vents, but it will blow cool air out of the defrost vents.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can check/fix myself and not spend a ton of money getting it fixed?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sure this works for Gen3, but in Gen2 with the car on If you turn on and off headlights three times while holding down the info button (or maybe it's the display button) you'll get a diagnostic screen for dashboard equipment and you should be able to go thru the menu and get some error codes and enter them into a google search. Or alternatively, because it's specifc to AC, find a high rated&honest Auto AC repair business in you area to do a diagnosis & estimate.

Grit likes this.
  3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your AC compressor is already toast! Get another one, and replaced with.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    PriusCamper gave instructions for getting audio/nav diagnostics, but HVAC diagnostics are different. Just hold down the AUTO and RECIRC buttons together while turning the car ON. Any two-digit trouble codes will cycle through the left side of the HVAC display (where normally is shown the set temperature).

Techstream will also read HVAC codes (they generally start with B14).

-Chap

PriusCamper, jerrymildred and Grit like this.