1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC quits when parked with motor running

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Roger3125, Sep 5, 2006.

1. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I know I have never had a problem with my ac not working. I usually have the ac on auto at 76. I have a couple of times been stuck at a bridge opening and the battery went from full blue to red and the engine turned on and charged the battery a little then turned off. Never did the ac stop working. most of the time I put the car in p as I am sitting stopped for a very long time, sometimes I would be in d. I have never seen this problem with my car. I know that if you get into the car and do not push the brake in that the ac will not work, however if the compressor is cold you will get the cold air off of it until it is warm then you get warm outside air.

2. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis SAC @ Sep 12 2006, 02:17 AM) [snapback]318202[/snapback]</div>
    Clarification of my quesion: When I said all the bars were gone I was referreing to the bars on the consumption screen. After running the AC in PARK for about 25 minutes the "bars" were gone, not purple or almost gone but zero, zelch, no bars.

I shut down the motor (as in pushing the start button) and restarted...I felt air but it was not AC air. I hit some button on the climate screen (indescriminately) and the air started up.

Now I read above that when the bars get down to two purple bars the ICE should start and begin charging the batteries. If this were so on my Prius wouldn't I have bars soon after they disappeared? While the AC shut down and the bars went to zero bars I did not hear the ICE go back on.

I hope this helps in answering my inquiry and incidently everything seems to be be fine now although i haven't pushed my luck and used the AC in PARK since then

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This sounds very much as though you actually had the car in IG-ON or ACC, not READY; or in READY but shifted to N. When READY and in P the A/C should work normally and the engine should run as needed to keep some bars on the battery display screen at all times.

4. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Sep 19 2006, 10:43 PM) [snapback]322090[/snapback]</div>
    So ready light must be ON and I be in PARK. I'll send it to the routine one more time and I'll report back...but somehow I have a feeling you're right