1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC relief valve blew, what's next?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jacky21, Jul 27, 2022.

1. jacky21

jacky21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Overcharged the AC system in my 07 Prius. Heard a puff sound. And watched freon pour out of the pressure relief valve.
    Question, do I need to replace the valve before filling the system again? Are these valves reusable?
    Appreciate any input

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a variable speed, variable pressure system... Amount of refrigerant and lubricant is defined by weight in an expensive machine, not pressure.

Here's a link to the various possible scenarios you're likely experiencing: Oh dear! A/C blowing warm air - where's the cold? | PriusChat

jacky21 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my experience, those valves are one-shot. You replace the valve if it is separately available, or the compressor otherwise.

Then, on the next attempt, make sure the system is well evacuated, then charged with the correct amount of refrigerant by weight.

jacky21 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah the valve shot you can't reuse it Don't put any more gas in the system till you work that out I don't know if that's a pinned piece of soft metal in a brass bolt type of affair brass plug type of affair. But it'll need replacing you can swipe on out of another car because usually people don't do this Even when overcharging usually in these cars the electric compressor will lock up well before this valve blows so you had a pretty strong compressor there buddy or?

jacky21 likes this.
  5. jacky21

jacky21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks guys for your input!
    Good point, I should probably check if the compressor is still alive (;

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Every time I have seen one of those valves pop off, they never fully seal again. At best they seep just a little bit.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jacky21 likes this.