1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC startup lag - Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iplug, Sep 7, 2012.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It takes almost 10 seconds for the AC to come on in my PIP when I first start the car. Is this normal?
    Sometimes, if the AC has just been running, it will come back on in just 2-3 seconds.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Assuming you're in Auto A/C mode for the following. Yes, it's to avoid blasting hot air at you like a conventional car will. The a/c comes on instantly but it waits a few seconds to build a chill in the coils before ramping up the fan that blows across them and then on through the vents to you. Now that you know, you will come to enjoy this "politeness".

parnami, iplug and priuskitty like this.
  3. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hm, didn't know that. I had assumed it was to give the driver a few seconds to see where the auto climate was going along with some time to react if climate control was going to start the engine for heat by adjusting the temp or turning it off.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do you know how long it takes, do you mean the fan?

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It will do the same thing for heat in the winter. This is especially nice to me since it does not blow cold air but waits until heat is up to temp to begin blowing warm air. Drives my wife crazy but I really like it. I accuse her of being a control freak:)

This is a true climate control system and not just an A/C system, assuming you leave it in Auto and let it do its job. It has several inputs in to it and really does a job of controlling cabin temp.

6. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, having the AC on auto lately has been mandatory. But this morning, for the first time in a number of weeks, the outside temp was lower than the climate setting, and the engine started up to make heat. Doh! Looks like leaving the car is about to become a three-step operation for the next few months!

7. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    To be more specific, the time mentioned is the time it takes the AC to come on in the cabin. Fotomotos explanation makes a lot of sense to explain the perceived and actual delay.

The thing I miss on hot days, is that you get some relief from the evaporative cooling effect from just having the fan going at first, even if it is blowing slightly warm air. Although it would help to have the evaporator coils chilled before the fan moves any air over them, the ducts to the cabin will always still be hot at first, so the initial rush of air may not be so cool.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Are you using a windshield shade? That will help keep the dash and, thus vents, cooler. To vent excess heat, I leave my door open while I wrap up the shade and the a/c chills. By the time I get my seat belt on and close the door, the air is pumping and cool.

9. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The central A/C in my house works the same way with respect to the fan: the fan does not come on until the coil is cold, and stays on a bit after the compressor turns off.

10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My PIP gets parked in a parking garage at work, and usually the car is fully shaded by the time I get in to go home, so I don't use a windshield shade at this point. Even though it takes a minute for the air to come out near maximal coldness, it's not bad when it finally comes on. Guess I'm just used to my old '95 civic when the fan started right away.