1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Trouble - dealer cant help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yossi, Jun 2, 2021.

1. yossi

yossi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 with 189k. Recently purchased. We had few really hot days 90+. AC goes on, I hear the compressor, the air is blowing cool but not cold. Its definitely cooler than cabin and outside air, but not cold enough to make the cabin comfortable in the 90+ temp and glaring sun. I took it to the dealer, it happened to be a cool day (72 degrees) and the air coming out of the vents measured at 45 degrees, ice cold. They checked the high and low pressure, fully charged, injected dye, found no leaks. No cost to me, but of course later that day when the temps went up to 85, the air is cool but definitely not cold.

Cabin air filter is clean and new
    AC button is on, tried setting it to LO, auto, high fan, low fan, recirculate, etc. Can't get COLD air. Compressor is on, the low pressure hose is cold.

What can I check before I bring it back to have them want to do a 5 hour complete disassembly to find the culprit? I plan on waiting until a hot day so they can feel for themselves that the air is not cold

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No cost? Which dealership, as promoting them seems like a good idea. Your profile didn't mention which part of the country you're nearest.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. yossi

yossi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jordan Toyota, in Mishawaka, Indiana (South Bend area)

Raytheeagle, Mendel Leisk and SFO like this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unless the dealer invoice calls out that they recovered the existing charge, evacuated and recharged with the correct amount of refrigerant, then all they told you was that the system wasn't empty. It can be down a fair amount and still have decent pressures and cooling under low demand.

You might consider getting some type of thermometer that can fit in the vent to get output temps under different conditions (& write them down). "Cool but not cold" is not very specific.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Start at Page AC-136 in the attachment. It will show you how to use visual indicators on your car to get a rough idea of the charge status of your AC system. Whether or not you're comfortable going further with it is up to you, or seek assistance from someone who is comfortable with it.

Attached Files:

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  6. yossi

yossi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I did the test on 136 - I very clearly see bubbles in the sight glass, and the air coming out of the vent measured around 60, with an outside temp of 72. So this seems to be an intermittment issue as the dealer measured the air coming out at 45-48 degrees

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s undercharged. One way or another, dealership didn’t do their job. Maybe that’s why it was free.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why take ac issue to the dealer?

you have a leak stop using it.

Most ac shops very familiar with g2 ac. Mine was doing poorly over the last year finally took it in to good local ac shop and it had a leak inthe underdash evap. New evap, $1050. Out the door.

Back to freezing ac system. The g2 ac system when working optimally is fantastic and freezing.

9. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it came with a warranty from that dealer?

Our 2007 also had a leak at the evaporator and a warranty from the dealer when we purchased it used. It took way too many trips back to them before they finally identified and fixed the actual problem. Of course they broke the TPMS and vent redirection in the process, but only, apparently, by failing to reconnect the wiring. One last trip back and it was all good again. If it wasn't "free" I would have gone to another shop after the first fix failure.

edthefox5 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Competence is getting so low, it’s only a matter of time before some customers will want to be paid, to go to the dealership. :rolleyes:

Georgina Rudkus and SFO like this.
  11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My ac guy told me we have to take a $150 swing at it to figure it out. Evac and charge it backup with die and find the leak. We will go from there.
    Very common job to find a leak didn’t think they would do that for free. Sounded fair to me.
    He said they see a lot of g2 ac issues it’s just the age.

my dealer is $175 an hour and would love to go on a fishing trip in my right front pocket. My evap replacement would have been $3000 at the dealer.
    Not counting what else they would break tearing the dash up.

no other shop gets away with the nonsense a dealer subjects you too.

12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    edthefox5 likes this.
  13. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It all depends on who they hire and what they pay. If one hires at a low rate, generally, one gets low competency.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    edthefox5 likes this.