1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accelerating from a red light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by markabele, Jun 6, 2012.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In other words you have no desire to improve? Ever? Why come on to fuel economy threads then?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WS is the same thing as a glide but at speeds over 46mph at which point the ICE needs to spin. In WS the ICE will spin but no fuel is being used. A tiny bit of electrical energy is used but it is not enough to hurt overall efficiency. To enter WS just use the same technique you would use to enter a glide. I.e. light off the throttle then reapply just enough pressure to make the HSI bar disappear between the regen section and the EV section. It is acceptable to have the bar within the first 1/4 of the EV section but the more bar showing the more energy is being used (I think).

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To avoid pissing off other drivers on the freeway (multilane) when I tackle a large overpass, I maintain my speed of 60mph when going uphill. This may drop my mpg into the 30s or 40s for the uphill section. When i start to rest the hill I lift off the throttle and enter WS (warp stealth) and glide for as long as possible at infinite mpg. If both sides of the overpass are equal in length then I will get between 60mpg and 80mpg for the entire length. This may not be as efficient as DWL (driving with load) but it keeps my speed constant so other drivers can better judge my actions and are less annoyed than they would be if I was speeding up and slowing down.

Another trick is to tuck in behind a big rig for the uphill portion (assume safe following distance). Since the big rig will likely be employing the same DWL technique you can use him as a blocker.

Using basic techniques like this and driving at 60mph I can achieve 65+mpg on my mostly (98%) freeway commute. Toss in smart urban driving and I creep into the 68mpg range. My avg indicated speed is then around 43-47mph.

4. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Because most of the roads here are only two lane. Driving slow, espically in the summer
    when tourist are everywhere, really impedes traffic.

Keeping with the flow of traffic at legal speeds is prudent and proper espically
    this time of year.

54 mpg is still pretty good mpg's....

5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct, 54 is pretty good. I'm simply saying regardless of anyone's situation on here they should always try for better FE.