1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acceleration guide in EV mode

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Pizza Driver, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Pizza Driver

Pizza Driver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When in EV mode and starting from a dead stop, the acceleration guide (the blue band in the HV monitor) only goes half way up the "ECO" band. I have to wonder if this really matters in EV mode. If I floor it when in EV mode, how much more inefficient would that be than sticking with the suggested slower acceleration? I could see some loss of efficiency through heat waste going through the cables, but how much could that be?

Indeed, when I really want some quick acceleration I prefer to switch the car into EV mode because it seems to have more pick up than in HV mode.

Krzysiek_KTA likes this.
  2. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't the acceleration figures show that the car has faster acceleration in HV mode than in EV mode as the HV contributes extra power????

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's faster in Ev mode at low speeds and faster overall in Hv mode including high speeds.

offib and NJ-PrimeAdvanced like this.
  4. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Is it possible to just flip it from EV to PWR mode at the right moment to get the best power curve?

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Assuming you means Hv instead of power mode, not really. It takes a moment for the engine to fire up and start generating power so I doubt that will help unless you plan to continue accelerating above 60.