1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acceleration issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jdk2, May 13, 2010.

1. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't experienced this. My dealer has only put 0-W20 Synthetic in. I have my oil changed and tires rotated every 5K miles. I usually run a car till it dies so I'm banking on the 5K translating into 300K+ miles barring the unforeseen.
    Good luck and keep us informed.
    Thanks

2. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thought on something in your particular case - if the engine is running at 20-30 k/h, it would be normal for all cars to be getting 10 L/100km or worse at that point.

For the problem in general, since it's during acceleration when you need more power, I'm wondering if there's a sort of discrepancy from the computer in terms of how much power it wants. In other words, ECO mode is seeking to attenuate jerky physical movements coming through the gas pedal, but sometimes in acceleration it must just "override" the ECO part to get you going. Is it some sort of transition between ECO and a temporary normal or power state that didn't turn out perfectly in actual performance?

Without a Gen III I can't try, but I wonder if switching to Normal mode just before these turns would be a temporary, albeit imperfect fix. Not sure if this theory is way out there, but I'm sure y'all will let me know :D

3. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is an excellent idea, Mike - I'll try my commute tomorrow in Normal mode, and let you know what I find out!

-Iain

4. LTChickadee

LTChickadee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No solution to be found on this problem. I have searched far and wide. Stumbling/shuddering on slow acceleration. Its not an EGR problem. I've gone through and cleaned out and also replaced EGR system parts. Intake small ports, EGR valve, and EGR cooler and pipes. Checked all the EGR wires back to the computer. All good.
    I've been running like this for a while. Tried different fuels, and tried injector cleaner as well. No help. By the way, there are no codes logged. And traction control never lights up either. The head gasket was replaced recently by Lexus. The engine idles smoothly. The plugs seem clean and fairly fresh. Because its in the mid-range of the engine, where EGR is active, I kep thinking its an EGR issue. so I completely blocked off the EGR pipe. No change, other than the EGR code got logged. After clearing the code, the car behaves the same way, and logs no codes. I've cleaned the MAF sensor using the sensor cleaner. I'm starting to wonder if it is a transaxle issue.