1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acceleration issues after radiator fan starts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FerPrius, Feb 12, 2023.

1. FerPrius

FerPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Friends I'm new here.

I have a second hand 2007 2nd gen Prius, currenttly with some issues that I would like to resolve but the most critical right now is the one where the car struggles to accelerate after the radiator fan kicks in, note that the car already have issues with the hybrid battery (Error Codes: P3018 & P3000). The issue occurs even with no red triangle light (I disable the error code triangle with Dr. Prius app), so any possible troubleshooting to confirm what can be related to this behaviour?

• No heat or coast area to triage issues with hot weather.
    • Mostly driving inside the city, few occasions on freeways.

Cheers

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So the car struggling when the radiator fan is engaged and when that radiator fan is engaged how hot are all the coolant hoses on the engine side for the most part of the engine bay not so much the inverter business and all that loop but the radiator the engine input output hoses from the head to the radiator??? Are they like untouchable 205° plus that may be your struggling issue right there You're overheating or very close to it right on the cusp of overheating. Obviously you're not overheating before the fans come on because the fans come on at about the time you're going to get in the range of being operating temperature and a few seconds later you're in overheat The margin is that close there's no room for error in these modern engine setups You go from normal operating temperature running to overheat as fast as you can snap your fingers if you're not careful. So it sounds like something is not allowing your vehicles engine to cool properly or maintain proper cooling. I'd be looking at that before I start tearing into the car too tough The 1NZ Is it pretty stout little engine It's a good one and it's a keeper.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You need a new thermostat

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To clarify, what are you calling the radiator fan? The fan you can hear in the back seat or something else?

FYI, your posts are moderated until you've made 5 or more posts.

5. FerPrius

FerPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The radiator fan in the front in this case, the hybrid battery also sounds when the P3000, P3018 red triangle show up.

6. FerPrius

FerPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At first, I had the issue after a couple of miles in the city, none of those on the highway, around 2-3 hours of driving the radiator fan starts to doing hype noises, which as you mention can be related to a possible overheating. But even after resting the car for another 2 hours the same behaviour shows up just after 10 minutes of driving. I cleared the red triangle code with the Dr. Prius app (errors P3000, P3018) and disconnected the 12v battery for about 10 minutes the gas indicator started to show as low, so time to fill with some gas, so I drove again for some 2-3 miles and then the radiator fan made that noises again (I have to turn off the car and start it to clear this).
    Another behaviour that I notice is a beep sound and a short indication of the engine oil, so the next day I went for engine oil to fill the deposit, the level was at half of the capacity the car has not moved for the rest of the day. Today the car presented the same behaviour after 2 miles, I had again to turn off and turn on the car again to drive again, and for the rest of the day, this behaviour did not show up. (My apologies if my grammar is not that good, English is not my first language)

bisco likes this.
  7. FerPrius

FerPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How can I diagnose if this can be the problem? any suggestion?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You would have to measure the coolant temperature or take the thermostat out and test it in boiling water.
    Is the serpentine belt working properly?

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How would you even hear the radiator fan from inside the car when you're accelerating?