1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

acceleration over uneven road surface while braking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Laird Banks, Aug 24, 2010.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A lot of Prius drivers may not realize this, but the FJ Cruiser actually borrows a bit of Prius technology - it also uses electric assist brakes.

Oddly enough, there are similar complaints of loss of braking. I have been able to very reliably replicate this "loss" of brakes under similar situations that a Prius will hiccup while braking

However, shift an FJ Cruiser into 4L, all the electronic safeguards are cut out. The brakes then work "normally" and everything is fine

IMHO this is an issue with the electric assist brakes, the software used in the ABS, and perhaps an interaction with VSC and ABS. When you encounter a situation that conspires against you, your vehicle is NOT accelerating

However, it isn't decelerating either!

2 people like this.
  2. korat102

korat102 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed this a few times on my 2005 Prius. Hitting a bump when braking occasionally produces an effect like a momentary release of the brakes, more than you'd normally expect from ABS. Since I don't drive up other peoples tailpipes and need every available inch of road to stop in, it's never been an issue for me though.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have little to add to this thread as everyone who is knowledgeable on this has already chimed in. I posted a Google Street View URL at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...99-poll-prius-brakes-problem.html#post1031776 after being inspired by someone else in that thread. Bob likes collecting them. ;)

But seriously, the above spot is one where I'd really encounter the 'braking pause' on my 2nd gen, accompanied by a blinking skid light. It's very minor on the 2nd gen and no big deal.