1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acceleration sweet spot?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by samiam, Jul 15, 2007.

1. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anyone else noticed a "sweet spot" for prius acceleration? (Hear me out before you scoff)

I've encountered this phenomenon many times at about 80-90 km/h ( 50-56mph ) when I've put my foot down just a bit (not flooring it) -- the car seems to really dig in and move like it has found a new gear. Now this isn't neck-snapping stuff, and the ICE isn't screaming or anything, but it is really a pleasant surprise out of such an otherwise "shy and retiring" vehicle. Since I don't have a tach (or scan/can or other views) I can't be more specific about the engine mode but I'd doubt whether RPMs are much above 1700, the km/l is showing 7s and 8s (which isn't too bad -- do your conversions). The sensation is a solid one, as if there is real weight (torque?) behind the power, with more available if called upon, and it will take me quickly up to 110 km/h, which is where I typically lift my foot off, having achieved whatever it was I wanted to (e.g., overtaking someone uphill) .

Any insights or similar experiences?

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I've noticed that and was just discussing what I refer to as
    "WFO mode" over here. It's not exactly what I'd call sweet, since
    it sucks down fuel like there's no tomorrow. But in general, the
    accelerator response in the Prius seems to be what you'd call "slow
    bottom" -- very fine control off the peg, and when/if you want the
    cojones, it's all up at the top end when you stick your foot in it.
    I love that -- a nice contrast to most american automatic pig-dog-
    mobiles, where it's almost impossible to feather off the peg with
    any degree of finesse because the throttle opens up too fast.
    _H*

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I proposed a rule of thumb, subsequently validated by others, for those without added instrumentation: If you keep instantaneous MPG greater than half the vehicle speed, you're probably within the RPM sweet spot range. See this for more. To convert this to metric equivalents, you're on your own. :)