1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accelerator stopped working - mechanic estimate $$$$$$$$

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jaw444, Jun 10, 2019.

1. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i posted this topic yesterday and got informative replies. i'm startlng a new thread because the other one got long from going off topic related to another problem with my car, i don't know if they're related but they weren't in that thread.

After the car stopped having acceration while i was driving and i was towed home, i took it to a mechanic today to see about getting it fixed.

it was towed to a place called California Automotive. i did not have a current mechanic.

They just called with the outcome. Very bad.

the codes are

p3000 battery control system
    c2318 low voltage error.

Worst case scenario could come to over $10,000, or, totaled.

She told me the possible repairs

replace transmission

clean battery motor fan which appears to have never been cleaned before, congested.
    (the area around the battery fan motor, take that out and clean the whole area)

replace inverter and inverter pump, and valve.

She hopefully thought the inverter would be ok but worst case scenario, it would
    need replacing.

She said she thought the hybrid battery was ok, she said it was charging at 85%
    with the battery fan blocked with built up debris

They had to drive it on the freeway to test it. She said it accelerates fine now, she could
    drive it normally on the freeway. i forgot to ask why that is. i guess maybe this
    morning when i had it towed, it was drivable again after cooling off.

She said they use remanufactured transmissions with 1 year warranty

The prices were,
    transmission, with labor (not tax) - $4307
    This price includes removing and cleaning battery fan motor, area around it

If the inverter needs to be replaced,
    that is another $6500 with labor, not tax.

So, if it needed the inverter, it's totally hopeless.

i can't imagine life without that car. it seemed fine, awesome,
    until March 29 when i went over a road hazard with the left tires.

She said the above repairs include alignment but my information is that
    whatever is causing the steering problem needs to be fixed before
    alignment. (it's been aligned twice since March 29).

if the steering can't be fixed the car is useless to me. She said
    when she took it on the freeway, she could only
    feel the problem i'm talking about subtly. For me it is subtle and i
    always forget about it, i have so many other things on the plate.
    and then i'll be driving and i'll become aware of it. the steering is
    having a returnability problem since going over the road hazard. it
    it has a problem returning to center. She said fixing the transmission
    might fix that.
    all very confusing.

She called me earlier to say she got some codes on her scanner but
    that they weren't right and she was waiting for her guy to come and
    update their scanner. She was letting me know why it would take
    longer to let me know what was going on than she had thought.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, that's an awful lot of expensive parts. doesn't seem like they are really up to snuff on hybrids.

you can find a pretty decent gen 2 for 10 large

but maybe things will change when her scanner is working correctly

jaw444 likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You NEED a second opinion......preferably from a Toyota dealer.
    It might be WELL worth the towing charges to do that.

Skibob, jaw444 and frodoz737 like this.
  4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why are you not going to Avi at Hybrid Fix?

Skill set of this shop is suspect. Highly unlikely they are NOT using Techstream b/c they are NOT providing any subcodes.
    Remember, Techstream is the OFFICIAL diagnostic and maintenance software written for Toyota/Lexus and used at Toyota/Lexus dealerships.
    DTC P3000 implies a HV Battery problem. There should be subcodes narrowing the problem(s). Unable to provide b/c NOT using Techstream.
    DTC C2318 implies a problem w/ HV main relay. There should be sucodes for this as well to further confirm or point elsewhere. Unable to provide b/c NOT using Techstream.

As far as I am aware, this would be a first to go from those two codes leading to a transaxle replacement.

If replacing inverter was truly required, makes sense just to replace the inverter pump. Same cooling loop. Good for another 100k miles.
    Replacing the 3-way coolant control valve (part of engine cooling loop BTW) and they did not provide you with DTC P1121? They sure are looking to fleece you or steer you to their in-law who sells cars at a local dealership.

Geeze. They missed saying the front and rear wiper motors need to be replaced b/c it is affecting COG (Center of Gravity), which is affecting the steering returning to center.

Did you botch a 12V jump by chance?

I am unaware of any reputable company that truly does an actual remanufacturing process where they tear it down, replace worn components, machine components, etc; I don't think Toyota even sells the internal parts for the transaxle. Would not surprise me if they just get a used transaxle from LKQ, clean it up, and call it "remanufactured."

A used inverter could be had for $200-$400; this part is near bullet proof, meaning low rates of failure.
    A new inverter is $3420 at Camelback Toyota.
    This shop has some mighty high mark-ups for parts and labor.

You shouldn't get attached to a mass produced vehicle. The later generation Prius are far more: comfortable, powerful, and efficient!
    You would like the upgrade.

She is telling you what you want to hear. She's good! Modern day grifter.

You are being hustled/scammed/etc. Even if a Toyota dealer installed NEW transaxle, this would NOT resolve your steering issue(s).

Get thee to a competent shop (like Avi at Hybrid Fix, AGAIN) and have the shop thoroughly examine the suspension components, electrical steering rack, and even the steering shaft that was replaced from the recall notice. Maybe your steering shaft got damaged somehow when you hit the road deris?

They are trying to see how much more they can try to fleece from you, and what plausible explanation they will use to justify the fleecing! You just don't see it this way b/c you are allowing yourself to become emotionally invested, unfortunately. It also does not help that you don't know much about the Prius from a maintenance and operation stand point.

What would you do if a vandal set your car on fire and only the metal framed remained? Would you repair it or just get a replacement car?

I vote to cut your losses and sell the car and get another one. If you get a new one, all problems (steering and these new codes) go away! Prius aren't selling well, so you should be able to get a very good deal.

#4 exstudent, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  5. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    First address the cooling issues for the inverter, transaxil and battery. Then see what's up after that. Both things you could do yourself with some basic skills. The steering I dont know.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jaw444 likes this.
  6. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  7. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This was after the scanner was updated, i asked what it was before and she said it threw about
    30 codes.

Anyway, so finding another car to buy doesn't seem like something i can do in a hurry, i'll have to keep using a rental indefinitely, it's a lot of pressure to make a decision. it's mind boggling. maybe it would be less of a gamble to fix my car.

i'm glad to have the referral of Avi's. i don't know if my AutoClub road service policy will tow it that far, find out tomorrow. go from there.

it sounds like something that is going to take a long indefinite amount of time of renting a car for $30 a day.

If i decide not to fix the car, then i have to find a replacement. I appreciate any info on how to replace it with a decent Prius, if it checks out with a mechanical assessment. for that i would go to Avi. It's mind boggling.

Once i have more information, i will feel a lot better, life brings a lot of learning curves. Without knowing how to get a car as good as mine has been, my first choice is to fix my car, depending on how much, and i need someone known to be expert on Priuses to find that out. It's frustrating to know there must be at least a few other mechanics nearer to me in this metropolis with no idea how to find out who they are, and time pressure to act. i know it will all get figured out though, imperfectly.

i think the mechanic i took it to today is may be ok but not for this situation. i think not many mechanics are capable in this situation, at least i don't know how to find one, i can't just do it by trial and error, like today. i can't make decisions without having information. sometimes it's necessary to do that though.

8. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    audiodave, thanks for feedback. that's why i posted this here, seeking help with perspective and appreciate replies so far.

i want to take it to a dealer--there is one a couple of miles from me that i went to for all maintenance since i got the car 10 years ago, but a couple of years ago the service manager changed and my service advisor left suddenly, and the two or three experiences i've had since didn't feel good, really different. But mainly i want someone experienced and knowledgeable--i guess you can count on that at a dealer? Someone on NextDoor did tell me she likes her service advisor at the agency in Reseda, i'll look into that. She's a Prius person.

On Prius Chat i read one person's post saying their nearest dealer only had two mechanics that worked on Priuses and they were gone for the day, kind of put me off but i guess two is a lot, compared to nothing.

i wish i knew a shop closer that has the basic skills to address the inverter, transaxil and battery so i could go from there. if i could get whatever the current problem is fixed for less than $4000, i could get the steering fixed after that, i don't think steering will be more than $1000 and probably a lot less, from what i've read. It just takes someone who knows what they're doing, not shooting in the dark. Easier said than done or it would have been fixed by now.

audiodave likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, you can't count on anything at a dealer. all you can do is get it rediagnosed and evaluate their proposal, just like you are doing now.

i recommend calling avi and describing the situation. see what he has to say.

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Now this makes sense.

You should change your "Location" in your profile from Los Angeles to the actual city in the San Fernando Valley.
    If you are concerned about privacy, then list a neighboring city (nearby), or just list "San Fernando Valley." As you might know, the San Fernando Valley is large geographically and population wise (1.75+ million people; 5th largest metropolitan area/city in the US after NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston).

With a more accurate location, you'll likely get leads that are geographically desirable (close).

jaw444 likes this.
  11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Even at the dealer, the competency on the Prius is all over the place. However, there is a greater likelihood of success at a dealership than picking a repair shop at random b/c of the resources available to the dealers. But, you are paying top $$$$ for this and to have the exterior washed.

Yes, call Avi ASAP! I completely forgot. I think he initially started in the Valley somewhere. He may know of a shop or two that is competent and closer to you.

Do report back if anyone is ever able to solve your problems. I am of the belief that some suspension components were damaged after you ran over some road debris, causing the lack of return to center.

Good luck.

Skibob and jaw444 like this.
  12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with take it to avi’s. The fact that they had to update their reader to properly read the code leads me to suspect they don’t work on hybrid Toyota’s all that much.

You said they drove it on the freeway and it drove ok. Why can’t you?

jaw444 likes this.
  13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Forgot to mention earlier, AAA has some crazy generous tow distances packages. Call for pricing and see if you can upgrade, if you decide to go to Avi.
    Compare Membership Levels - AAA

upload_2019-6-11_10-21-16.png

jaw444 likes this.
  14. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, i just renewed my road service in May, the cheaper plan. i used to always get the 70 miles of towing one when i was working, i got paid mileage at about $150 a month on average, a lot of driving, far driving, but i barely drive since retiring, that's why my car has low miles, i barely drive, so i got the cheaper plan. I'll call and see if they'll let me upgrade immediately. they always thank me for my 36 years as a member, see what that's worth. i learned my lesson on this, stick with the 70 mile towing plan.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    barely driving a prius is not good. i would cut bait and look around for a decent econo box gasser

jaw444 likes this.
  16. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to know what barely driving exactly means before giving an opinion but if your driving less than 15,000 miles a year it would be a good idea to get a non hybrid vehicle if your retired and can’t repair the car yourself.

edthefox5 and jaw444 like this.
  17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Opinions are like.............:ROFLMAO:
    I certainly would NOT classify a bit more than a thousand miles a month as "barely driven".
    A hundred miles a month......maybe.

jaw444 likes this.
  18. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since i retired i am driving about $7500 a year, which is half what what i was driving when working.

i didn't realize it's not good for my car to not drive enough and want to know how much is enough. i imagine there's no exact amount, but generally, i didn't know this was harmful to my car. Driving less began in 2013.

i just got my car back from the mechanic, driving it home, and they said don't drive it at all once it's home, because lots of parts are getting burned out and every drive does more damage.

why is it harmful to a Prius to not be driven much? Mechanic said because the battery needs to cool

i called Avi before going to pick up my car. He talked about things that might explain what's wrong, more and less common, and of course he would need to see it, but that conversation was encouraging for me, that at worse, it's highly unlikely to be as bad as the other guys thought .

i told him it's a very far tow for me, i think maybe a couple hundred dollars at $10 per mile. He said it's possible to drive the car over there, he said usually with this problem the car will work again if you turn it off and turn it back on, not on the freeway but on surface streets, i could drive it over and each time it stops accelerating, pull over, turn it off and turn it back on and keep going, it can happen repeatedly.

That's a different perspective from the other guys who said don't drive it an inch because you're damaging it.

Avi didn't know anyone in the Valley that he recommended for this kind of car. i would be better off paying for a tow to get over there because it seems scary to have it starting and stopping for such a long distance in LA traffic, not always a place to pull over. i can understand that it's doable but i don't think i'm mentally in shape for that right now.

But talking with him was good, informative, reassuring. he said call him any time with questions, and i will, that's really great. i'm motivated to get my car over there, but won't have time til Thurs or Fri at the soonest, i'm not sure if i should get a rental car or if it's ok to go for short drives around home a few times.
    Like to the store, that's all.

Driving my car home was very motivating for fixing it. It's in really good shape, the seats, interior, it seems like new to me. it's a package 6, i don't remember what that included anymore, but really user friendly. If someone could keep it going for me, it's something to seriously consider, Avi was skeptical about needing the repairs quoted by the other mechanic and/or about the prices. He quoted prices that were all doable and not shocking.

The mechanic i just got the car back from said there might be a misunderstanding from what she said the day before--$6500 wasn't the price of the inverter, $6500 was the total for repairs recommended, if an inverter was needed, so the inverter was more like $2200 including labor. Before tax

Skibob likes this.
  19. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    7500 miles a year is fine. Damage part is that the older traction battery does not hold well to sitting a lot. 7500 is fine. The mechanic that told you not to drive it sounds fishy. I would bet they don’t work on too many hybrids.

bisco, jb in NE and jaw444 like this.
  20. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would hope after 36 annual payments, and assuming not too many service calls (tow/locked keys/jump start), AAA would be happy to have you pay more! If not, I'd be beyond pissed.

If your auto liability insurance is NOT with AAA, ask them about adding towing. It is SUPER CHEAP! I have StateFarm, and it only cost a few dollars every 6months (~$4 at most); so $8 at most for the year. Same features as AAA: towing, jumpstart, key lock out, out of gas. Towing is for a few miles (upto 5 maybe). I should probably ask StateFarm if they have a long distance towing plan like AAA. Something to consider, as you could save quite a bit of $$$$, on something that is used infrequently.

But, there is something to be said about having AAA membership, as it entitles you to some of their services at their offices.

jaw444 likes this.