1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acceptable hybrid cell voltage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 541pughe, Jun 30, 2018.

1. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    hello, this is my first time posting although I’ve spent countless hours reading various posts on here. I have a 2007 prius gen 2 with a 201xxx miles, bought it a year ago with 180xxx and the previous owner ensured the hybrid battery would be good for a few more years. Well a few weeks back the big red triangle among other various lights came up on the dash, but I never actually verified the what the problem code was. So last week I tore it all apart and cleaned all the copper connectors that were heavily corroded. After I put it all together the same lights came back with 60 miles. Today I tore it all apart again and did some load testing on the individual cells, so I’m here asking what the acceptable voltage of these cells are.
    All of these numbers are an average of 4 tests
    #1 7.46 (bad I think)
    #2 7.67
    #3 7.65
    #4 7.67
    #5 7.63
    #6 7.64
    #7 7.63
    #8 7.68
    #9 7.65
    #10 7.61
    #11 7.65
    #12 7.68
    #13 7.66
    #14 7.69
    #15 7.67
    #16 7.67
    #17 7.63
    #18 7.66
    #19 7.65
    #20 7.67
    #21 7.63
    #22 7.67
    #23 7.66
    #24 7.67
    #25 7.63
    #26 7.69
    #27 7.61
    #28 7.40 (bad I think)

So before I start buying replacement modules and the tool to get all of these balanced, should I just fork out the 500 bucks at the local shop that offers reconditioned with a 6 month warranty?
    Thanks for any and all input.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

What I would do before performing anything else is get a proper code reader as the red triangle does not always mean replace the hybrid battery ;).

The voltages look ok from what you posted above, the end modules typically are lower as they do not have a module on the end and each is not 1.2 volts low.

Some questions:
    • How much corrosion was on the bus bars?
    • What torque did you use upon reconnecting?
    • Was there any signs of fluid leaks?
    • How’s your mpg?
    • What’s the 12 volt battery voltage?
    Good luck and keep us posted (y).

SFO, 541pughe and JC91006 like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should read the codes, you probably have another problem, not the battery.

If I had to guess, it's probably a failed inverter pump. With this failure, usually the AC will not blow cold air when the red triangle is lit.

You should take this opportunity to check all your engine fluid levels too

SFO, 541pughe and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base

There was quite a bit of corrosion in the bus bars, I soaked them in vinegar and scrubbed everything off. I used my racket till the bolts were tight and then a tad bit more, no specific torque. The engine leaks a little bit of oil out of the rear main, but I use the car for lyft and I keep the fluids regularly full. However I do need to check the coolant level, as far as mpgs I was averaging mid forties in the city. The 12v battery is in good shape it’s six months old, and reads 12v under load.

I will toss it all back together in the morning and get the light to come back on. Would taking it to autozone to get the ob2 scanned get the red triangle warning light code?

Are there any other ways to check a faulty inverter pump?

#4 541pughe, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2018
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe 48 inch/pounds is the correct torque. I don't often bother with a torque wrench, but would always use one on those nuts.

Maybe. But I've read a ton of reports of Auto Zone's readers not catching the hybrid system codes. If you're getting into battery repair, you really should get one of the mini vci dongles with techstream. Not expensive, but a little involved to install. Lots of threads here about that.

With the car in READY, remove the cap from the inverter coolant tank and look inside for motion. If the pump is running, you should see some swirling on the surface. It's not vigorous, but it's there.

#5 jerrymildred, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    JC91006 and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    By fluid leaks, I meant any signs of module solution leaks underneath the hv battery. This could be the early warning sign of a failed module or a leak to ground, causing the red triangle and poor performance from your Prius.

7. moocowman

moocowman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1) I agree you should read the codes before you waste all this time tearing things apart and throwing money at something that may not even be a problem.

2) Measuring static voltage sometimes reveals the bad cells, but sometimes it's wrong. What's more important is the difference in voltage before and after load. That is, the voltage before you loaded minus the voltage after X seconds under load. You have to measure the voltage while it's being discharged with a load at X seconds. I've had cells with good static voltage, before and after load testing that turned out to be bad when I read the voltage difference WHILE it's being discharged.

3) You don't need fancy equipment. You don't need $500 "reconditioned" cells. Buy some used cells. Load test them as described above and compare the results on those cells to the other cells in your pack. If they're similar, use them. Some of the "reconditioned" cells are nothing more than used cells that have been load tested. Even if they did some magic on them and made them super-duper cells, there's no sense in having a couple of cells that perform way better than the rest of the cells in your pack.

David Rutten and maverick1970 like this.
  8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $500 for a battery that will last 6 months?
    I would not do it if I planned in keeping the car longer than that.

Replacing the module yourself will save you money, but it introduces variability in the pack and is less reliable than replacing it with new.

If you replace a module you will likely be doing this same job over and over. Sometimes several times in the same year.

And every time you swap out module you add more variability to the pack. Sometimes you can mask this variability with a charge/discharge system but that adds more expense.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from replacing a single module, (I sell modules to folks regularly) but just know what you are getting into. Keep doing it as long as it is still fun for you.

541pughe and jerrymildred like this.
  9. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I reassembled everything this morning and only after a few minutes the warning lights came on. (Faster then I anticipated) As I’m waiting for my scanner tool to come in from amazon, I did a little more digging. The inverter pump clearly works, and there is noticeable flow. Tested the voltage on the 12v battery. 12.3v resting 13.93v ignition on. Is my hybrid battery fan supposed to on constantly? It’s a 95 degree day but the fan is running constantly.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Car is most likely going to get sold after I resolve this issue, otherwise it’s gonna have to make a 3k mike journey across the country in late August.

11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you cleaned the hv battery fan?

Usually that is a sign of a failed module in the pack;).

541pughe likes this.
  12. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Yes I cleaned the hv battery fan really well.
    My obd2 scanner came in and it’s pulling code p3015. What’s that for?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Here’s a snapshot of the voltage of my battery blocks, hard to tell which one is bad.

Attached Files:

14. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is for block 5. While the freeze frame data may not show it, live data will give you a better picture of block 5;).

You might have damaged the terminal or something could be causing a faulty signal reading in block 5, throwing the code:(.

But double checking your work in that part of the battery is warranted (y).

15. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I got back in there over the weekend, I clearly didn’t tighten the bolts on the buss bars enough and they were all pretty loose so I torqued them to spec. After more data logging and testing the overall health of my battery is around the 25% mark. So I have decided to just sell the vehicle as is. Anyone need a clean parts car in the Boston area?

P.s
    I really appreciate the knowledge and willingness to help me get this figured out. You guys are the real mvps.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's running, it's not a parts car

DB1961 and 541pughe like this.
  17. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I understand that, what should I list it for? Don’t really feel like throwing money at this thing. Unless everyone here convinces me it cost effective to fix it.

18. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It runs fine, everything works perfect. Just has sub-par hybrid battery performance.

19. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’ve been eyeing this deal for sometime, but I don’t really trust it. Opinions?

Attached Files:

20. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ultimately you get what you pay for.
    Will it last a month? Sure.
    A few months? Probably.
    6 months? At least you'll have the warranty if it fails.
    A year? Hmmm
    3 years. Welll...
    5 years? I doubt it

Any the entire time you can never quite trust it.
    It could leave you stranded at any moment. And maybe that's ok with you.

You could buy/use tools to monitor it daily, and then you'd get a feel fro how close to failure it is, so at least you'd have some warning about when it might fail.

541pughe and jerrymildred like this.