1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acceptable hybrid cell voltage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 541pughe, Jun 30, 2018.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $3000+

The Prius has very good reliability if you have a good maintenance record. I had a 250,000 mile Prius that I won't hesitate to spend money on it because the engine/transaxle/hv battery were all in good condition. If there are any unknowns on the car with over 200k miles, I would probably not spend money and move on to a newer car.

#21 JC91006, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    jerrymildred likes this.
  2. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    As it sits it just about needs tires and the struts are noisy so those would need replaced. Guess that kinda answered my own question, not really worth it to all that money into it. Thanks guys!

3. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your voltage levels look fine but at a glance but you will need to do more data collection to be sure.

I had a Prius come through with 300k miles on the original 2004 battery, friends car, he complained of weak performance, poor mpg, discharges completely half way up most hills, poor acceleration, etc. I tested the battery and while it discharged evenly it did so very quickly.

After reconditioning the battery (5 cycles) the performance of the car went up significantly, first discharged logged about 200wh, final discharge logged over 800wh. It's been about a year and the car is running great.

A.J. Tarnas and 541pughe like this.
  4. 541pughe

541pughe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Was gone all weekend, went out to the car to take some pics for Craigslist. Got this fault code this time. Car is definitely going to get sold now. Yay.

Attached Files:

5. DomL 07

DomL 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi.

I have a 2007 Prius with almost 250,000 miles. I used to drive it a long way for work and both the drive battery and the
    main battery are the originals. Lately, my drive battery seems to discharge pretty fast and it's way down a lot of times
    when I first start the car.
    Is it possible to recondition my own battery, or do I need a pro to do it ?

Had it at Stamford Toyota about 6 months ago and they said both batteries are still good.

Thanks,
    Dom

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of options. Some depends on how handy you are.
    For example you could...
    You can purchase equipment and install it yourself.
    Or have a shop install it for you.

Or just go to a sop and pay for the service.

Or you could build your own from electronic parts.
    Etc, etc

7. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the battery remains balanced while SOC is @20-30% then it's a great candidate for reconditioning only, I've had a few come through and they show very good results. First discharge is typically ~100wh between 230 and 202v. After reconditioning it came up to 800wh between 230 and 202v.

As far as doing it yourself, I feel like the available consumer equipment is insufficient for the task and leaves a lot of room for error when it comes to over discharging and overcharging. At the same time there are very few professionals who know what they are doing or have the right equipment.