1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accessory Mode and Battery Shut Down

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, May 30, 2017.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One thing I noticed the other day was the quirks the Prime has when the car is parked and just in Accessory mode (if you're hanging out in a parking lot for a while waiting for someone, and want to listen to the radio, for instance).

First, everything shuts off after a while (the radio, everything -- even when it's on and you're listening to it) with a message displayed that to prevent battery drain, everything is being turned off. Does the Prime have a normal/separate 12V battery for accessories (different than the main EV powertrain battery?) If so, I've had no other car I know of shut everything off like this. I don't remember the time period before shutoff (probably at least 10-15 mins) but when I rebooted the car and turned everything back on, cycling back to Accessory again to keep listening, the same thing happened again a while later.

Second (perhaps just a quirk with Priuses in general? don't know) you cannot run just the fan (not talking about A/C or heat, just the fan) or even the windows while out of ready-to-drive mode, (ie, in Accessories mode). Windows you can sometimes use for about a minute or so after shutting the engine off, but after a minute or so, you can no longer operate the windows again without pressing the POWER button to leave Accessories mode and enter driving mode. And with the fan (if you just want a fan blowing, even outside air, with no heating or cooling), that's not possible at all in Accessories mode it seems.

Is there a way you can turn off the automatic shutoff of everything after a few minutes in Accessory mode?

One cannot run any audio for a long period of time (or just the fan for any period of time) if not in the ready-to-drive mode, it seems.

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's supposed to shut off after 20 minutes. Because of a bug in the software, it never lasts that long and the amount of time it does last is quite random. Sometime it lasts 45 seconds, sometimes a few minutes.

3. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    20 minutes is all it's supposed to be. I've never timed it, but it's to protect the 12v battery from draining.

The minute to move the windows after shut down is pretty standard in Toyota's as far as I know. My 2002 Tundra does the same thing, till a door is opened then I'm screwed. The GF has learned to wait till we drop the windows a tad in the summer before she opens the door, otherwise I had to turn the ignition on every time to lower the windows.

Prius from Dad likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just leave it in ready.

5. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Unless no EV left.

6. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ready with the parking brake on seems safe. Will it consume a significant amount of power in that mode compared to Accessory?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, very little, but the hybrid battery will keep the 12v charged, and when the hybrid battery goes down to a certain point, the engine will come on to charge the hybrid battery. or if you have some wall charge, the engine won't run at all, until it's gone.

8. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ready mode will use the traction battery, ACC mode uses the 12 volt battery just like a regular car.

bisco likes this.
  9. Jeremy Greenwood

Jeremy Greenwood New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had it auto shut down during an app update for entune setup. Was not happy with the lack of user permission or override due to a seeming software install process. Nonetheless download and install picked up next time u started it. It was about 20 but didn't time.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good to hear there's a fix.

11. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And yes, there is a separate 12V battery for accessories, used to boot up the hybrid control system, and to provide power to the accessories when not in READY mode. When in READY mode, there is a DC-DC converter to provide 12V from the traction battery. Unlike in conventional cars, the 12V battery does not crank the gasoline engine to start it. That is done by a motor-generator powered by the traction battery.

#11 CharlesH, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Lostinthedark likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The same on the Chevy. I would assume that is the norm now.

When you say turn the ignition on, you didn't actually have to restart the engine, did you?

And cars now have a protection circuit to keep ACC mode from completely draining the starter battery. In the case of hybrids using the 12 volt for just booting up and connecting the traction pack, the 'starter'(actually a deep cycle) battery can be smaller than what is mounted in a similar ICE car.

13. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No just the ignition, so that I could lower the windows. They won't work on ACC only.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First, I'm from the "if the car's not getting you somewhere turn it right off" school. That disclosed:

If you want to hang out in the car with the fan going, radio on, and so on: I would follow @bisco 's advice, leave the car in ready, or you'll soon enough be shopping for new 12 volt battery.

15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @bisco is correct. Leave it in ready to listen to the radio and/or run the air conditioner. Unless you like dead 12V batteries. I'm glad to read that they are finally putting in timers to shut stuff off in ACC mode so people don't strand themselves.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It isn't so much a timer, as much as a voltage monitor that shuts things down when the battery starts getting low. At least that is how it is in the newest cars I've had.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A voltage monitor would be more accurate.

18. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting replies everyone, thanks. You know, this is the first car I've ever had where the Accessories cuts off after a certain amount of time (had Toyotas only until the mid 1980s cars, then switched to Hondas until now). On any and all of them, the radio and/of just the plain fan (NOT the AC or heat of course) could stay on for hours if you wanted it... and never had the battery die on me. Only one time did I ever have to replace the 12V battery in one of my cars... it just got old, and after about 8-9 years, got another one. I can't imagine just the radio using all that much power so for Prius (or other similar cars) it may seem natural, but from what I've had all these years it seems really weird that it shuts off to save power. Not a big deal, just different. There are times where I have to wait around, and I'll just sit in the car for 30 mins to listen to the radio. Anyway thanks for the replies

19. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are three modes, Accessory, On and Ready:

Accessory mode - you can run the radio.
    On mode - you can run the fan and windows
    Ready mode - you can drive the car.

When not pressing the brake pedal the power switch sequence is OFF -> ACC -> ON -> OFF

Pressing the power switch while pressing the brake pedal in any mode takes it directly to READY

In your former life the reason that you used Acc and On was because otherwise the gas engine would be constantly running, which you didn't want just so that you can listen to the radio and maybe have the fan blowing. But with the Prius you can leave it in Ready mode and ICE will only come on occasionally and briefly to keep the battery from getting too low. In fact even with A/C running ICE won't be on all the time, it will start and stop as needed to keep the battery charged.

But if you want to use those other modes anyway, according to the owners manual (page 326) ACC shuts off after 20 minutes, ON shuts off after one-hour. Although I guess people are experiencing that ACC shuts off sooner than 20 minutes. You may want to try ON and see if it goes any longer.

20. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I guess the Toyotas are more susceptible to draining the 12V battery, or Toyota's just being extra careful, because leaving just the radio on for 60 mins in the other cars would never drain the battery to where there was any noticeable defect, but not a big deal, just took me by surprise... thanks for the info. And at least it's not a common occurrence, when I need to leave it on for so long.. :)