1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident Advice: Insurance or Person?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sillylilwabbit, May 6, 2016.

1. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Long story short:

While waiting in traffic, person in a commercial truck on opposing traffic made a left behind me and clipped my bumper.

The guy said sorry and wanted to go "out of pocket" because he has worked for the company for approx 6 months and doesn't want to get them involved.

As I understand it (from a friend who has a commercial license to drive), 1 accident on your record will get you fired and any new potential job he may apply for will not hire because of an accident on the record.

I feel sorry for him (and my self for having to deal with this) plus he could or likely to lose his job. Image1462580383.154430.jpg

Go through insurance or just cut him a break and let him go out of pocket. He thinks it should not be more than $1,000 to fix.

(I have been in an accident before with a similar situation where the person at fault says they will pay for out of pocket instead of insurance only to get the run around and eventually go through insurance).

iPhone ?

2. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last paragraph says it all. Let you heart lead you. Everyone will have their own opinion.

Last time I got rear ended I hired a lawyer, but that was me.

Best of luck to you, I know things don't look great right now.

#3 dorunron, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    If the fella seemed trustworthy and you have all his info why not give him a chance to pay out of pocket if he is willing to... Go get a couple quotes and call the fella and see what he says.

Worst case is you eventually file a claim through insurance if he tries to screw you. The car is drivable obviously so the only thing is you would have to live with driving around with a scuffed up bumper till he pays..

I think it's the civil thing to do, you help the guy out by him not gettin canned from his job, plus you get your car fixed. Make sure he pays you for a rental car if that's necessary also.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can contact your insurance company, get a repair quote and ask the guy for cash all in one day. id he balks, tell him to forget it. i have received the runaround in this situation as well.

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd suggest time is of the essence - get quotes TODAY, contact him, tell him if he gets the money to you within x days (last time I specified 5 days), but if not you'll be lodging an insurance claim on DAY 6.

In my case, was similar to yours, when the repairer looked underneath, there was a deformed rear bumper reinforcement bar which needed replacing, pushing the price up considerably. I forwarded the quote to the other party - who ignored it, I gave a couple of extra days, sent a reminder saying "if not paid by 5pm tomorrow, I'll forward a claim to insurance" - insurance had it repaired within a week.

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's a moving accident, get a police report and call your insurance company, or be a crook, he is.

8. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Update:

Thanks for everyone's comments and opinions. It is appreciated.

I decided to give this guy an chance since I would hate for this guy to lose his job over such a minor accident.

I got estimates yesterday (approx $1,200 and $900, with possibly more damage, but unknown until the bumper comes off). A rental car estimate was about $300 which he balked at. I just told him that I won't have any out of pocket, either he pays or his insurance will pay.

Anyhow, I got $1,000 from him and hopefully that is all the cost will be.

Once again, thanks for everyone's help.

iPhone ?

#8 sillylilwabbit, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    bisco and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A body shop should be able to fix that for under$500

SM-N900P ?

10. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Make sure to ask for an out of pocket quote and not an insurance quote as bodyshops have been known to tack on unnecessary items and or overbill for labor etc if insurance is paying...

Also if you have a discover card, are with USAA, or any number of other associations (AARP, AAA, etc) a rental car is normally much, much cheaper than full retail rental price. Heck we rented a brand new suburban and a Durango (swapped just for fun) for 10 full days in Cali for just over $400 after rebates..

Your bumper repair should take a couple days at most...

11. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I was thinking it was going to be around that price, but both body shops mentioned that there was a "slice" through the bumper which required a new bumper.

They also mentioned that the pain they are using required a 3 stage paint (special Toyota paint: Blizzard Pearl)

12. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They said insurance would be cheaper because of the rates they have directly with them (sometimes insurance specify used parts ordered). They could give those rates unless I use cheaper parts.

The out of pocket quote I got is everything new and original parts.

I will look into the rental rates with those cards.

I was told it should take about 3 days from start to finish.

Since it wasn't that long, I was thinking just using Uber or taking public transportation.

One body shop mentioned they can give better rental rates because they have contracts with Enterpise rentals.

Once again, thanks for the advice and tips.

13. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Your welcome. Hope it all works out for you :)

14. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having accident record on your insurance also is not a good thing, even it is not your fault. For 1K you can get repair, and may be keep couple hundreds, but check with trusted body shop, if there other issues. Good luck.

15. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for doing this. I've been on both sides of the accident before when I was driving as a courier and appreciate people giving us a break.

The guy that hit me had the audacity to ask me to go to several places for a lower estimate after I told him how much the repair was. I called my insurance company and let them deal with.

The guy I hit gave me a quote and I paid it. No muss no fuss. His quote was ridiculously high for a scratch but still better than an increase in my premiums.

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $1,000 sounds pretty good. For one thing, you only need to replace the bumper cover, which is that whole vinyl piece, and maybe a few clips. Very doubtful there's any other damage. Second, labor is trivial. Once you or your garage has the part, it's easy to install.
    The only problem is if your Prius is blizzard Pearl and not white. That paint is hard to match.
    There are a lot of $260 bumper covers out there. Painted to match will cost more but I doubt it's going to cost over $500 total, nor should it be in the shop more than a day.

VovCA likes this.
  17. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even at a shop, I could fine a place with a good job and less than 1K. Absolutely agree about color, super white is super popular, much easier to find painted parts but probably won't be a perfect match.

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Its funny, but estimators always use the, "we won't know if there's more damage until we start to work on it," but in cases like this, you can easily remove that bumper cover and see if the styrofoam beneath it is damaged, or you can look at the bumper mounts to see if they're dented. In this photo, I doubt there's anything but the cosmetic damage. Some people would give it a cheap squirt of spray paint and pocket the $1,000, and that's perfectly legal.

19. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I did something similar to what you are describing two cars ago. Young kid, stupid accident, gave him a break so his insurance payments wouldn't be higher than his car payments. Took him to the guy I use for all my body work, kids father gave body shop a CC number, payed promptly and in full. Worked for me.

Rebound likes this.
  20. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It could be a LOT more than a $1000!!! all depends what (if anything) damaged behind the bumper plus they will have to bland in the side panels on both sides on the back.

Get the insurance information safe bet in most case the other guy can pay be the insurance at the end so no case.