1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident- Boy am I thankful for my prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by loved my 2010 prius, Sep 9, 2014.

1. priusnoob78

priusnoob78 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Make sure they are replacing parts with oem. Not aftermarket.

XT1053 ? 2

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depending on your insurance, used parts may be all they'll spring for, for at least some areas, suspension components for example. It's not the end of the world, but worth finding out in advance.

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most insurance companies ask if you want toyota new replacement policy. I took the later. I also had a $5500.00 accident that required used parts. Car looks new as it was all under carriage damage. H

4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    State Farm has been notorious for putting on aftermarket parts and has been in lawsuits concerning that. I was insured with them for 50 years but changed to USAA for different reasons. I have never had a bad accident, therefore, I have no personal experience with that. Do you know if you can demand and get genuine Toyota replacement parts as a result of an accident?

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Probably, if you're willing to pay the difference. I can think of one case where I wish I had: got a replacement front strut assembly that look pretty knackered, out of the snow belt. It worked tho.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $3k is the appraisal?

That's surprising low.
    Body Work and Paint is so expensive. It really adds up.
    I had the most minimal damage you could imagine with just the front bumper and when all was said and done it approached 1K.

My concern with an estimate that low would be are they using OEM parts?

You want the work done, and you want it done right.

Best of luck with everything, I'm just surprised anyone could repair that damage for so cheaply.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In BC we have (pretty much) a single, crown corporation insurer, and there are body shops authorized to do the appraisal. They're even given license to bump the amount, if they discover additional damage as the work progresses. It's a system based on trust, the body shops earn accreditation by doing good work for fair price. I've never heard of a backlash from the insurer with our usual shop, or at least it's behind the scenes, I'm not aware of it.

I'm wondering too, in the OP's case, if this is the insurer's appraisal, and a battle with the body shop is brewing.

8. loved my 2010 prius

loved my 2010 prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The appraisal is from the insurance company. I was planning on using one of their suggested shops. I researched their suggested shops in the area and found the best one by way of reviews (some of the suggested shops had scathing reviews). I will address the OEM part concern. I was shocked by how low the appraisal was as well. They did say, there may be other damage that was not visible during the initial appraisal but are happy to work with the shop once increased pricing comes in to play.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How long will the repair take. Any indication? Do they have courtesy cars. Good luck. H

10. loved my 2010 prius

loved my 2010 prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just updating everyone here! It's been in the shop for 13 days- looks like it will be ready tomorrow.
    We're looking at $5k of damage now because the front suspension needed to be replaced
    The other party was ruled 100% at fault.
    Can't wait to have my baby home!

11. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to hear you're okay! These cars are tough little cars. My first car, an early first generation Prius (2001) Prius was totaled in July of 2010, I flipped it when the car lost control and went into a ditch at 50 MPH. The tow truck came and turned it over on it's wheels again, and it started and drove onto the flatbed. It was towed to our farm where it sat for about two weeks before selling it. While it sat though, I went and started it a few times and drove it around the farm, it's amazing how well these cars are built and how they hold up!

P.S. (Yes, I used to have long hair -.-) haha

Attached Files:

loved my 2010 prius and Ashlem like this.