1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident: Damage Estimates / Best Approach?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bglav, Feb 9, 2015.

1. bglav

bglav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, it's been a wonderful weekend...

My (pregnant) wife and her sister were on their way to meet their mother's hospital transport at a new hospital. While on the highway, she was hit in the left rear by another vehicle, spun around (at least once) and to top it off, the car drove away. Thankfully my wife, baby, and SIL are completely fine. Police were able to find the other driver quickly.

Anyway, just wondering what thoughts were on the damage? Obviously the rear axle, quarter panel, tail light, bumper, and maybe rim, some supporting structure will need to be replaced. Think this would make it to total loss? I'm very nervous about a vehicle truly being returned to normal condition with that much damage. It's a 2008 with 70,000 miles, all options except leather (I can never remember packages). Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have so far.

Also, would love opinions on peoples' experiences filing claims with their own insurance company vs. filing directly with the 'at fault' drivers. I know medical expenses will come out of our auto (no fault), but for things like repair, rental, etc. - What has your experience been on both sides of this coin?

[​IMG]

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, glad all are well.(y) every state is different. here, you file with your insurance, and they go after the other guy. they come out and inspect the damage and do a repair estimate. you take it to the body shoppe, and if they find hidden damage the inspector goes there to approve it. you also get a list of approved shoppes, which is a good idea, because the insurance co guarantees the repair. pretty tough to talk them into totaling it, they make their own determination. all the best.

#2 bisco, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  3. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say they will write it off as a total loss, too expensive to repair all the body damange at this point in your Prius's life.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    bglav, you're going to be speaking with both insurance companies. If I felt my insurance company was better than theirs I would pursue the claim through my policy.

When my 2010 got sideswiped I filed the claim under the other party although we had the same insurance company. If I filed under my policy then I would have to submit a claim for the balance of the rental car.

Get a rental Prius from a dealer and start shopping for a new one in the event they total it.

5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They will total it out, and with little luck it will make its way to the "rebuilt" market. They really write off Prius's easily, there is a car lot in my area (the owner is a Prius fan himself) that rebuilds and sells cars like yours and at any given time there are at least 2-3 Prius on his lot. Hot commodity.

6. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm not sure that it'll be totalled. It might not take that much (suspension links, bumper cover, taillight assembly). It's up to the estimators and insurance reps though.

I took a pretty hard front-side hit 8 years ago and it was repaired nicely.

You might not have very much say in the process. It's more like being along for the ride (and the wait), now. Glad everyone was alright.

7. bglav

bglav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Totaled.

I opened a claim with my insurance company as the other drivers will not decide liability until a police report is available. Apparently, this can take weeks. I also felt they would be more likely to have my best interest in mind. Obviously I'll have to cover my deductible up front, but I'll get it back eventually.

They are providing about $12,500 + sales tax of 6%. I'm waiting to hear from someone in my state as the original appraisal was done out of state.

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hate "no fault" insurance with a passion. I've managed to drive over 2 million miles over 40 years without causing an accident (I have been hit a few times however).

Someone backed into the side of my truck a few years ago, and by chance he happened to be an insurance agent, who wanted to settle it privately, because he said the insurance company would "screw us both." But the best repair estimate I could get was $2000, so he opted to put it through insurance.

I wish I had read the fine-print, because all such accidents (in a parking lot) are considered 50/50 blame, and I ended up paying a $500 deductible. I could have easily lived with the small dent for that. Live and learn; showed my inexperience with such things.

9. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What a POS the other driver was.

Glad your loved ones were not injured.