1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cthindi, Apr 25, 2012.

1. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius has been an accident magnate for some reason.
    I had a bunch of them all minor once. Couple of them Hit and run's while my car was parked in a parking lot and another a low speed hit from behind.
    In this one though I was lucky to escape completely unharmed.

2 lane State highway I was driving on ( 55 MPH speed limit) becomes 65 MPH Interstate highway. Traffic was not very heavy. But there was a truck burning rubber ahead of me. I moved to left lane to pass the truck. There was another car in front of me and both of us accelerated to highway speed and suddenly the car in front of me swerved and cut in the right lane ahead of the truck. And then I saw three boulders two about 12 inches and another about 8 inches in size spread across my lane, probably fallen over from a construction truck.

There was no way I could have stopped in that distance and not a way to avoid them completely. I just avoided tires running over those rocks.

I pulled over and looked under the car for a minute or so. I did not find any leaks. I drove on a further 20 miles to work. Normal driving position of the steering had shifted about 15 degrees. I knew it needed work.

Couple hours later I saw fluid leaks under the car and drove immediately to a good mechanic near office I had worked with. I was lucky to reach there as there was a constant stream by the time I reached there.

It seems the transaxle housing had cracked and my driving of about 25 miles had vibrations had opened up the crack.

I had only liability insurance on the car as it already has 165,000 trouble free Miles ( other than earlier minor accidents). But the car was so reliable, I decided to go with salvage transmission. Later on after a more careful inspection it also appeared that suspension cross member has a small rip and was bent which had caused the steeing shift. So even that had to be replaced.

The mechanic I work with is reliable and honest guy. He had not worked on Prius before. But did a good job getting info from his sources and doing the complete work.

Now I have the car back after spending 2650 $.

700 $ Transmission
    500 $ steeering crossmember.
    1250 $ labor
    200 $ supplies including Toyota Transaxle fluid and Inverter coolant.

I have driven the car for 100 Mi now and every thing looks good so far.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope to use it another 50000 Mi to get my money's worth back.

1 person likes this.
  2. tdelker

tdelker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The truck that dropped those rocks should be liable. If you could somehow find out who... It's worth reporting to state highway patrol.

3. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately I do not know how the rocks got there. I just saw those like 20-30 ft ahead of me at speed of 65-70. I am just assuming they fell out and someone was not careless to use those as chock for a disabled vehicle.

I was very lucky to just escape with damage to the car. The outcome could have been much worse.

BTW I did call Highway patrol and reported those.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please do everyone a favor by posting the name and location of your mechanic. He's just been promoted to hybrid technician.

5. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have now driven the car for 300 Mi since repair. Everything looks good. MPG reported on MFD 55.1 which is better than what I used to get previously by at least 2 or 3 Mi in similar weather.

So looks like everything is fine at least from repairs point of view. I will get more comfortable with transmission after driving about 5K miles or so, it being a salvage one.

Mechanic

Tom Stuart
    Hillside Service Station
    113 Columbus Ave,
    Valhalla NY 10595.

1 person likes this.
  6. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you finally explained what the $700 and $1250 labor was for: a salvaged transaxle.

I guess the one advantage of having a transmission pan such as in my Corolla is that it would take the sacrificial hit and it would be so cheap to replace the fluid, pan, gasket & filter myself.

When I had my prius lifted during a pre-purchase inspection at a dealership they showed me how a previous owner had ran over a rock or chunk of ice but luckily the only damage was a bulge in the rear footwell which I hammered down and a snapped headlight level sensor which I'm still on the lookout for a used one as I don't drive much at night and have excellent vision and reflexes until I find a replacement.

did the mechanic find and negotiate the cost of the transaxle or did you do that yourself?

7. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mechanic found the salvage transaxle. Actually getting one took a lot of time. It was the fifth one which he got delivered. At least three had wires cut where they come out of housing rather than just separating at the connector which is just a foot or so away. Only one motor has a terminal box on the housing. Other motor just has a connector a foot or so away. ( Like a foot long tail).

Tom ( my mechanic) said he did not make any money on the transmission or the suspension crossmember. He negotiated price for both. I had seen a couple of the transaxles and had almost given up hope that my Prius will ever get fixed.

8. tkc11

tkc11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We were in the right lane when a utility trailer had a blow out in the left lane. We straddled the tire and something metal that came tumbling down the road at us.

As you can guess since I am replying to this thread, it cracked our transaxle. So our Prius has been towed to a Toyota Dealership and they have ordered a replacement transaxle. The part is on backorder, anyone have a guess on how long it will take a dealership to get a transaxle?

We did not get a license plate number from the vehicle that had the blowout. Lucky for us, we still have comprehensive insurance on the car and the insurance company is paying the cost, we just pay our deductable.

Estimate from dealership is $1450 parts, $950 labor, $2,500 total.

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    tkc, if you were local, I have a good trans sitting in the shop just waiting for a new home.

Your dealership must be planning to replace the cracked half of the trans, rather than the whole unit.

dave77 likes this.