1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident...lucky the damage seems minor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ny biker, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Was waiting at a red light the other day, first car at the light. Light turns green, I start driving through the intersection to make a left turn (no cars coming from the opposite direction). Suddenly an SUV comes at me from my left and totally runs the red light. Due to sheer luck, I was far enough through the intersection so that he only hit the corner of my rear bumper on the driver's side. If I'd been a fraction of a second slower through the intersection I'd either be dead right now or writing a thank you letter to whoever invented airbags.

Amazingly, my car is not dented. There are some scuffs on the bumper but no other damage is visible. I have removed everything in the storage area down to the spare tire and do not see any signs of damage on the inside. The car drives fine -- brakes work, goes in a straight line if I take my hands off the steering wheel (at slow speed), no strange noises.

So it looks like all I need is to have the bumper repaired/replaced. Does this sound right? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

p.s. Despite three witnesses who stopped to say that they saw the SUV run the red light, the other driver did not get a ticket. The officer who responded felt that the possibility that his insurance premium will go up is punishment enough.

2. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Grrrrrrrr!!! Running the light is a violation, period. Not getting a ticket is wrong. (I suspect some pro-SUV/anti-hybrid prejudice here.):mad:

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't agree more. Not only is running a red light a violation, but an extremely dangerous one. And the officer's refusal to enforce the law was almost just as bad. If I were the OP, I would report and file a complaint against the police officer who declined to issue a ticket.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't be serious? He ran a red light so late he hit you from the rear and no ticket!! Far out, I hope the next time the SUV driver tries his luck he isn't in Adelaide on holidays.