1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident Prime Advanced - Collision (released from hospital)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sid786, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With the grace of GOD and with help from Prime Advanced technology, I had survived a major accident. When a car side swapped me, coming out of a Dunkin Donuts and going to the other side of the multi lane highway. Instead of using the regular stop light, she tried to save some time and tried to cross the multi lane highway. I was near the center divide, so the other cars blocked my view and didn't a car crossing the road. It was an SUV.

Prime advanced, just before the collision for a few moments (maybe 1 sec) showed a red collision alert, but didn't brake it or maybe braked it and that is why I survived. The front of the car was completely gone. Since I was the only one driving the car, so all my air bags were released. I had it hit my ribcage near the driver side door, pretty hard. The smoke filled the car and I couldn't open the door initially and after a little bit of struggle it opened as I was scared if this smoke result into fire. After 5 to 10 min, I went inside to pick the phone to call 911. Car had already called 911 and there was guys on the phone and told me that he has already called the police and ambulance.

Car looks totalled, but it saved me. I was taken to the hospital, where they did the xray and told that every thing is OK and I was released from emergency.

My Prime was taken to the police station, as the office told me in the ambulance and asked me to call insurance when release. I have called the insurance (Geico).

Geico said there is a medical and auto adjuster and have asked me to talk to police to get the report and car released.

I am now out of car. Any suggestions on how should I handle this with insurance. I hope they just dont repair it, as I am not sure if it will be safe aftewards.

maiki, HyperStryker, Witness and 4 others like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Air bags going off usually means totalled I think. Don't rush into anything, and take care.

3. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you. For now I am just thanking God that I was not driving my old Mazda 626 1999 model.... I think technology in Prime is the major reason that I walked away from the accident almost free of major injuries and with only few bruises from air bags. Taking time off from work from now for the next few days.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When you get a chance, photos and possibly a street address?

Bob Wilson

5. ClemsonSteve

ClemsonSteve Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow! Super happy you are OK-Thank God! Please let us know how this unfolds. Other person ok too I hope.

6. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, so the car was taken by police to station. Will go there tomorrow to look at the car.

Strangely the other car had just a minor damage on the front of SUV, while the driver in SUV saying that she just had abdomen pain, but she was not taken to hospital, so nothing serious there.

But Prime damage was huge as the front almost broke and crumbled.

1568-1580 Kings Hwy N, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
    Accident location Google spot is in the image.

upload_2018-6-3_21-27-25.png

Attached Files:

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent image of the accident scene that supports my "A" pillar hypothesis. In a left turn, the SUV driver side "A" pillar blocks part of the view that due to the arc of the turn remains relatively fixed. An optical effect that is magnified by our built-in blind spot. With one eye obscured by the "A" pillar, the remaining eye has a built-in blind spot that complicates the problem.
    Visual Field

I shudder to ask, did her cell phone survive?

Bob Wilson

#7 bwilson4web, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sorry about the accident, but glad to hear you are OK. I hope things will go smoothly from here with your adjuster. As expensive as components in Primes are, from your description, it sound like the car is totaled. Keep us updated on any progress.

OP was going straight. SUV is the one coming out of Dunkin Donuts making left turn. OP stated "I was near the center divide, so the other cars blocked my view and didn't a car crossing the road. It was an SUV." Though Prius "A" pillar definitely obstruct driver's view when making left turn. I have had a near miss when making left turn and not seeing a pedestrian crossing front of me.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  9. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My view was blocked by the cars on my right hand side. This is a revised view. I guess the driver saw gap and did a run for it. While I was on the other lane and didn't see the SUV coming.

Guys, I am more concerned of at-fault accident. Can you guys please confirm that I am not at fault in this situation?

upload_2018-6-3_22-14-39.png

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't see any reason you get penalized in this situation, unless you are speeding.

11. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was in a Prius, so speeding is out of question. Infact I was reducing the speed for the upcoming Stop Light on the road and was braking to increase the charge.

HyperStryker, Witness, pjm877 and 5 others like this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the SUV driver cited? I assume you weren't. If the other party was the only one cited, then it is clear who is at fault.

13. krushmoto

krushmoto Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    According to VTL you have the right of way. Even if you were speeding you still have the right of way. This accident was NOT your fault.
    So don't worry about fault and just get well.

Nexus 6P ?

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Speeding or not, she didn't have the right of way.

Tyfly likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy cow. Glad to hear you’re safe with no broken bones.

The Prime did what it was supposed to do and so did Safety Connect.

Every state has its own laws but I would think someone’s comi g out of a small street would be in the wrong you’re on the main thoroughfare with the right-of-way.

16. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was in an ambulance being taken to Emergency, so I am not sure, if SUV driver was cited. I am going to Police Station tomorrow, to get the police report, if it is ready. Hopefully police report will have some details.

My Prime car was less than a year old and in 2017 Tax report, I had already claimed the $4500 tax credit. If my Prime was declared by insurance as totalled and if I had to buy a new prime, then will I be still be able to claim $4500 Tax credit or the tax credit is for one person for one car.

17. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    So glad you're OK.

It's one person per VIN. If you buy another Prime, you will get the credit for 2018. The good news is the huge discount on 2017s so you can probably get a new one for what the insurance gives you.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From your map, it appears that she came out from a STOP sign, from a secondary street. (The sign itself is not visible in the aerial photo, but the stop line next to it is.) You were on a primary street with no STOP sign, that is crystal clear from the lane markings.

Absent additional details (e.g. if you saw her coming and had opportunity to avoid the collision, but chose not to), she is at fault for failure to yield.

ClemsonSteve likes this.
  19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that the tax credit is for the year you purchased the car, but there is no limit on number of cards you can claim year after year. So, if you buy another 2017 Prime this year (2018), you should be able to claim it again. In fact I was thinking of buying another Prime, but have not pulled the trigger.

20. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Glad you are OK. She should get the book for running into a PRIME. It is like Mad Max out there. Be careful. Keep us posted on how this plays out. (Oh, remember, to get all your personals out of the car...I'd even take things like the charging cord so you will have an extra one after buying your new ride.)

pjm877, DonD and ClemsonSteve like this.