1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident Prime Advanced - Collision (released from hospital)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sid786, Jun 3, 2018.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the U.S., the 5 mph bumper rule was abolished as part of Reagan-era deregulation.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was more to it than Reagan, I believe - the NHTSA for one. But - being an international marketplace, having just one country with the regulation - and the rest of the world ~ 165 countries not wanting it, made it an almost impossible situation.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While Canada kept it until the Harper era.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK - it never came here - or to most of the world. Except some of our cars inherited the ugly bumpers.
    This is my VOLVO 1974

upload_2019-1-16_17-3-56.png

And the bumpers were replaced by these ugly ones:

upload_2019-1-16_17-2-38.png

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here’s one of the victims of the “stricter” bumper rules in Canada. A 2005 VW Jetta (Bora) wagon.

[​IMG]

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. maiki

maiki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see this post is years old, and don;t know if you are still following it, Sid?

I just had a major collision in my Prime too, which I wrote about in the following post:

Auto brake | PriusChat

How did it work out with your insurance? Did they give you any option to repair it? (Unlike you, I would prefer that.)

If totaled, how much did they pay you? Was it enough to buy a new one with? What did you end up buying, and how is it?

8. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First thing I learned is the police report, which tells you who was at fault, unless it is not known. I was not at fault, big relief. Next horror was that my vin number was entered wrong in my policy. It was the sales guy that did it and I didn't verify. After some time my insurance corrected vin. So make sure of vin. Next assessment came out above repair, so it was totalled. Worst part was that they depreciated the car about $6000, which was less than 8 months old. I had no choice but to accept and had I got those ambulance chasing lawyers, I should have gotten a better deal. I ended up taking 2k from the other insurance and waived my rights. I added 4.5k for federal refund, so I ended up even. My insurance was worst, they nickel and dime you, still they were responsive. My 30 min ambulance ride and less than 20 minutes ER stay costed 3k and 10k respectively. Another lesson learned, dont take any ambulance as they are under no laws and can charge you anything. Got too many letters from ambulance and hospital and I didn't pay them anything. After 6 months those letters went away like magic. Most likely they went after the other insurance.

9. maiki

maiki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Sid. My situation was different, as I am clearly considered at fault. I went to the doc yesterday and was xrayed, nothing broken. No ambulance was needed. So there won't be medical costs. (The other drivers said they were fine, and their cars were far less damaged than mine, and drivable.) Clearly all from my insurance though. (The traffic in front of me on the freeway stopped very suddenly, and I was unable to brake fast enough. As I was the one who rear-ended the car in front of me (which hit the car in front of it), I am responsible. (My car had the feature to brake automatically though to prevent a collision, and that clearly did not work!

I would prefer repair, but they likely will total it, and I am concerned about them not paying me enough in that case. (Look at the link I posted above to my new post yesterday, for all the details on my case.