1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident Prime Advanced - Collision (released from hospital)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sid786, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Steve, as I am diving more and more into this, I am finding that you may be correct. I am not sure but what you are describing is what I am hearing more and more. I have received a court letter in mail yesterday, which shows that the other driver is charged with careless driving and has to appear in court. I am the witness but I am not sure if I have to go as well.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, you don't "have" to go to court. If you do not, the defendant will have an easier time with the plea bargain.

3. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds good to me, anyone can have a bad day, that was her day. so if I can avoid court, then I will.

4. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I made a left through a gap left by the two lanes of stopped traffic and had my front end clipped by a Miata (super low, difficult to see) DRIVING UP THE PARKING LANE (i.e. the lane where parked cars were supposed to be but was clear due to street cleaning that morning).

Cops who showed up said it was illegal for the Miata moron to be driving up the parking lane but told me that I would be probably found liable anyway.

My argument was "Hey she was driving up the parking lane. How am I supposed to assume someone would be rolling up a 3rd lane on what I know to be a two-lane road?" COP: "Sorry, it's BS but you're gonna be found liable. We'll probably write her a ticket but it won't mean anything to your insurance company." And they were right.

State Farm told me since I was making a left (same as coming from a stop sign) I will be 100% liable no matter what.

If you are making a left, coming from a stop sign crossing traffic that does not have a stop sign or exiting a driveway, expect to receive full liability. They worded it something along the lines of "you have the responsibility to yield in all those situations".

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Similar case here. I was trying to make a left turn across three lanes of gridlock into a parking lot. Drivers will often allow a gap for parking lots although they are only required to do so for cross streets. As I slowly moved across in front of three humongous barns on wheels in my little Chevy S10, I could not see the right turn lane over their massive fenders. Just as I poked my nose into the right turn lane, a Honda Civic came scooting down that right turn lane doing at least 20 mph in oblivious mode. She clobbered just the right end of my front bumper, which pushed the bumper a little out of line and did quite a number on her Honda. The deputy totally understood and did not write a ticket, although I was at fault because I was the one making the left turn, so my insurance was liable for the costs of her repairs. I fixed the truck myself with an oak tree and a come along.

Pdog808 likes this.
  6. cramer77

cramer77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Touring + Tech
    What a massive headache you got yourself in.
    You should have had replacement insurance coverage before all this took place and as a result would be driving around in a 2018 Prime today.
    There are lots of bad drivers out there and you found this out the expensive hard way.
    If they are going to crash into you, at least have the coverage for a brand new replacement.

7. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    No sense in beating up on the poor guy when it's already happened. The payout is probably a lot less than what he paid a year ago. But he did get $4502 off taxes and if he can find a good deal on a 2017 Advanced, he can still be ahead.

OP, expand your search radius to 500 miles of NJ and you can get one for $26-$27k before TTL plus you'll get another $4502 back on 2018 taxes. Looks like you'll be out ahead. No worries. Check the prices paid forum.

I compared my current insurance to those that offered new car replacement, and it was $1,000 to $2,500 per year more. I'm going to see how much for my Prime.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Plus most of those insurance covers only first year/15k miles. The premium cost increase is not usually worth it.

9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think so - insurance will pay it's current value, he's had use out of the car, and if he gets a new one, it'll be newer. Or he likely could get an equivalent age/distance car with his payout.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. triggerhappy007

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    I compared my current company which doesn't have new car replacement insurance with Allstate, Liberty Mutual, and Traveler's. I didn't do Farmer's because you have to have their insurance when you bought your car and Nationwide because last time they quoted me over $2000/6 months so Nationwide is not on my side.

This is for $100,000/$300,000 coverage, $100,000 Property damage, $5000 PIP. Deductibles: $1000 collision and $500 comprehensive.

Insurance Cost/m Cost/6m
    Geico $78 $468
    Travelers $93 $558
    Travelers New Car $100 $600
    Allstate $126 $756
    Allstate New Car $139 $834
    Liberty Mutual $156 $936
    Liberty Better car $169 $1,014

I'm going to get Traveler's New Car Replacement even though it's $260/year more than Geico without new car replacement. I'd rather have the peace of mind.

pjm877 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the comparison. Your number proves my assertion that GEICO is the least expensive insurance. I tried similar comparison, but my car is getting to 1 yr/15000 mile many of those replacement policy set the cut off, and cost differences are too big to make a switch. Will you switch back to GEICO after 1 year? Just curios. One thing you may want to look into is glass coverage or zero deductible collision/comprehensive p. I had a front windshield crack on mine 1 week after purchase. The cost of replacement was well over $1000, but I did not have to pay any because I had zero deductible policy from GEICO. Prime and Gen4 front windshield have been reported to be prone to crack.

triggerhappy007 likes this.
  12. triggerhappy007

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Traveler's is up to 5 years of the model so I will keep it until then. Check with them if they can still insure your car with new car replacement. I also got the $50 deductible for glass. I heard how expensive it was to replace the front and rear glass.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did online quote with Traveler. The premium without "new car replacement" was ~$340/6mo higher than my current policy with GEICO. They don't have as good of online Quote system as GEICO's so I couldn't compare the exact policy I now have with GEICO. Did they give you option to add "new car replacement" for your quote? I think I will keep my current policy for now.

14. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    To everyone: On Friday Geico revealed to me that my VIN number is not matching my car. The way it happens is as follows: Two days before buying the Prius Prime Advanced in September 2017, I got the VIN number from dealership and I ran an online quote to get accurate pricing. The night before I did run the quote again, as shown in my email trails.

On the day of the purchase (labor day) 1st Sept 2017, Car dealership told me to call Geico directly and have them fax insurance card. So I called Geico and asked them to fax. If I recall correctly, Geico agent told me that he had to pro-rate as my current policy runs till Oct 2017. So they added 1 month prorate. For this or some other minor change in policy, Geico agent told me that he will have to get a new quote. This is when Geico agent asked me to read the VIN number on phone and he recorded it wrong. After 20 minutes a fax came to dealership, which the sales agent went and pickup and added this fax to my document set. At that time I was already with the supervisor of dealership, who was explaining the various paperwork and Toyota warranties. The fax that came in had the wrong VIN number, but no one caught it. Hence I drove the car and since then never noticed it until last Friday, when Geico said I had a wrong VIN on my policy. Now they are saying it is under investigation. I have provided them proof of my ownership documents. Good thing is that the "Temporary Vehicle Registration" card which I got from dealership, has my correct Geico Policy number, which I have sent to Geico as a proof.

VIN number matches atleast first 5 or 6 characters then it is different numbers. Do note that the Car Model (Prius Prime Advanced) and Color are correct on my Geico policy.

I am not sure what will happen in my case, but I have sent Geico my quotes and confirmation numbers from Aug 30th and 31st of 2017 and from Sept 1st 2017. I am not sure, if Geico keeps the recorded conversation and can check it again. But these are nervous and anxious times for me.

So please check your VIN number on your ownership document and insurance policy, as you don't want to end up in my type of situation after an accident.

fotomoto and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. triggerhappy007

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah, their quoting system is not thorough. I had to call to get a quote with new car replacement. It was only $7/m higher. $340/6mo more is way too much. I wouldn't even bother calling them for a quote. Try Allstate and Liberty Mutual.

Salamander_King likes this.
  16. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Man, what else could go wrong in this adventure?

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear the trouble you had to go through. It sound like an honest and minor mistake. I am sure it will get straightened out. Just look at the bright side that you are not laying in hospital bed or worse.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    i'd talk to your insurance company before making that decision. If she can "get off' of the ticket that may effect your liability rather then it being clear-cut that it was the other driver at fault. I hate being a dick and piling on just as much as the other person, but if it's going to cost me a fair amount of money (e.g. the value of my auto deductible than I may well do it).

19. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's interesting. You actually need to have a valid insurance card to register the vehicle. So you registered a vehicle with an insurance card "for a different vehicle". That should not have been possible to do in NJ. Obviously the f'ups were many and by many.

I'm not sure what's going to happen here. Obviously you paid your premiums. there was no attempt to deceive or defraud (e.g different model, make, etc.).

let us know how this one pans out... something like this would make a difference to use or not use Geico.

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In December 2009 I had the same issue with NJ Manufacturers. The dealer's employee did not write the VIN clearly. I was on travel in New York City when the insurance company called. I am sure clerical mistakes are frequent and usually corrected promptly. it is always a good idea to verify the numbers on the documents. In 1983 I insisted the Oldsmobile dealer get a corrected title for my car because my Delta 88 was listed as a Delta 98 on the title.

Ask your employer if they are a member of the NJBIA.

https://www.njm.com/-/media/pdf/things-you-should-know-about-auto-insurance-a-290.pdf