1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident...repair or not

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daisy555, Mar 19, 2021.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He said he's having to purchase uncertified bumpers. Maybe there was a misunderstanding. Hmmm...

2. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any photos of the actual damage?

3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have photos buried in my phone somewhere. The guy was going pretty fast. The most visible is two huge puncture wounds in back bumper. Front bumper has a crack down the middle. The metal piece under front bumper that protects radiator etc. is smashed in.

4. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just noticed what you said about Valueline parts not being listed. Now I'm concerned about trustworthiness. He was highly recommended by a trustworthy person who gets his cars fixed there over many years. oh boy.

5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Is this your insurance companies estimate? If it is I would be talking to your insurance company and ask if the Mitchell estimate is what the insurance company is using to estimate repairs.

6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No it's the insurance company of the person who hit me. The "P" managed repair rep sent this to me today after looking at the car in person.

7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also the repair person might have been using valueline as an example. I see that some parts say certified. How can I tell if the front and rear bumper are certified after market if it doesn't say it. Look up part number?

8. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So the other person was at fault, and his insurance company is paying to repair the damage?

9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes did you see my question above? I responded to myself. : }

10. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If the other person's insurance is covering the damage take it to a Toyota dealer or depends, is the car at the body shop?

11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's where I got my initial estimate but the dealer body shop rep was contradicting himself so I was having trouble trusting him. He quoted bumper cover as $263

12. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    He is quoting a new Toyota bumper cover for $263

Capa has a label on the back of the bumper cover. The estimate does say aftermarket new bumper TO3955PAPU and doesn't specify certified.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  13. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The important certified parts are the reinforcement Bars front and rear, the cover is just a cover, certified means that it fits better when installed with proper gaps. So just go with the covers specified.

The estimate for the rear bumper cover says overhaul 1.6 hrs existing, then it says remove replace with the aftermarket, then it says refinish. I can only see part of the page that has the rear bumper cover at the top. So not sure what that page is estimating.

I actually am just replacing my complete rear bumper assembly and got all the parts I need from salvage off another 2008 Prius for $200 total.

Attached Files:

#33 alftoy, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks...he was primarily speaking about the bumper because that was my concern. I had heard multiple times that after market Prius bumpers often don't fit well. He said he would call the insurance rep Monday to discuss CAPA rated bumpers. Of course with hindsight I could have collected the $3200 and walked away with the car as but the parts had to be removed in order to increase the estimate. I hoped for the best of both worlds but can't always get it.

15. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Anyways tried to help, wasn't much help. Local CT salvage yards have the complete bumper assembly, with reinforcement bars, even the right color original Toyota bumper covers, under $300 for each front and rear. The estimate already uses salvage reinforcement, why not salvage original bumper covers?

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

front.JPG
    front.JPG CT rear bumper.JPG

#35 alftoy, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    bisco likes this.
  16. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I so appreciate you trying to help. That's pretty amazing that you found this. If I was someone who worked on cars, that could be a great option. I'm so confused about what to do at this point. Getting it fixed and having time to shop for a newer car would be the least stressful approach even though the money would be nice for a deposit.

17. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just so that I'm following this correctly... Is your car currently at this body shop? It sounds like the body shop has removed the damaged parts. I wasn't aware this was a requirement to increase the estimate - does that sound like standard practice? Regardless, is there any reason why they can't return the car in the same condition it was in when you drove it into the shop? As you mentioned previously, you had been driving this car for the last year without it generating any codes. Also, it doesn't sound like the insurance company is going to write it off. If this is the case, maybe you should take that $3200 and continue to drive the car as is?

It would really help if you post some photos of the actual damage.

daisy555 likes this.
  18. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would really help if you post some photos of the actual damage.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it’s currently at shop. Original estimate before taking apart was $1400. That was based on photos due to COVID restrictions. They had to remove bumpers to see additional damage which is what dealer auto body would have done as well.

I was hoping for the scenario you just mentioned but at this point I would most likely have to pay shop for labor for taking apart and putting bumpers back on plus key fob was acting weak despite new batteries so key fob antenna definitely needs fixing. Plus I’ve been a bit concerned about safety once I’m back to commuting again. If car was hit again that front metal bar under bumper is totally bashed in. I didn’t post front photo. The grill is smashed in, fog lights and bumper cracked. Hard to see in photo anyway.

Attached Files:

19. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I actually have both my bumpers off my Prius, I’ll take pics in the morning, only 4 bolts holding each front and rear bar.

#39 alftoy, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    daisy555 likes this.
  20. DutchPrius

DutchPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why not go for salvaged bumpers (including the metal bars) and have them resprayed? This shouldn't be so hard to find? If you find a good one with the fog lights already mounted it will be more economic than trying to find them as well. Also if you find a bumper without the fog lights, are you willing to accept them not be refitted after repair? I hardly ever use them in the Netherlands, i like having them on but that's more for the looks... Maybe you can save some for the insurance and still being able to save your car.

In the Netherlands we have lots of salvage yards and companies who parts out the car so you can buy parts off the shelf and with warranty as well. Lots of insurance company align with these companies to make sure you can save the car and they have to pay less. It's a win-win if you ask me.

Best regards, Nick

Black 2007 Prius