1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident :'(

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by jhinsc, Jun 20, 2014.

1. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Enjoy the ability to go buy a new car! Could have been much worse:

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not that accidents are funny, but there is some comical stuff. makes you want to think twice about ever driving outside of the usa..

:30 just out for a leisurely stroll not giving a fck about anything..
    :50 gotta be on of the scariest as from a driver standpoint, you see it coming the whole way. knowing that you are going over the edge
    1:06 the driver with the camera is entering t he parking lot the wrong way...based on the position of the cars on his right angle in parking......but the person in the oncoming car had a brain fart...and the guy who was parking the car saw the accident and said "I'm getting out of here"
    1:50 the guy that hits the scooter withthe white suv. as the driver exits the vehicle and walks to the back of the suv, looks like it was about to slip and fall in the oil from the scooter
    1:55 not even copperfield could make a car disappear that good...
    2:05 cyclist meet Mr sign....
    3:10 "sexy sexy lover" LOL
    5:00 quick get out, the IED is going to blow...
    8:16 radio pumping the bass "big fat" accident dramatic pause, the radio continues playing

this is why to stay away from LPG trucks...just in time for july 4... gott at least watch for the rocket @ 2:53
    Hazmat Highway to Hell with High Pressure Gas Cylinders (No Music) - YouTube

4. HansRobert

HansRobert New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Emphasizes the need to have a safe vehicle, for sure!

5. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You should go to your doctor pronto and get checked out. Also, report the accident to your insurance company and let them handle it. Don't even try to do that yourself. It may hurt your claims process if you try to bypass your insurance company and try to handle with the other persons insurance company.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I have decided to replace my v with a Passat TDI SEL so I will be leaving the Prius family after owning two wonderful hybrid vehicles. After having gone through a severe enough accident to total my car, I decided safety had to be a consideration along with efficiency. Unfortunately, the v is not a top-safety-pick and no longer recommended by Consumer Reports either, although I think it will be in the future once it's modified to pass the small overlap crash test. Unfortunately I need a vehicle now, not later. I want to state I'm not knocking down the v at all - it was a wonderful versatile vehicle and met all my needs. But since I was dealt this hand and have a choice, I made the decision to go in another direction. The PC family has been wonderful - I will check in now and then to see what's going on.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we'll miss you man, all the best!(y)

8. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    My father in law has a Passat TDI and he enjoys it...please check in and let all of us know.

9. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I'll miss PC too! I'll post of pic of my new car once I seal the deal this week. Lifetime avg of my v was close to 44 mpg, hope I don't take too big a hit with the TDI!

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good luck with the TDI, and I hope you stay in touch. Like F8L with the Volt, I like hearing balanced reviews of non Toyota cars.

Merkey likes this.
  11. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMAG0048 (Copy).jpg Purchased my new TDI yesterday. As I may have said before, I'm usually more excited when buying a new car, but my v was new - only 14 months old when she met an untimely death.:( Driving to work this morning, the car said I got 40.1 mpg. I'm not tracking mileage on the first tank since the dealer likely didn't fill it up completely but it's encouraging to see the kind of mileage possible from a larger car. It's a bit more quiet on the road so I have to watch my speed - I'll have to use CC once I'm done with break-in! Still have the rental car I'll be returning on Friday.
    IMAG0045 (Copy).jpg

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stay and post updates.

Good Luck!

13. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Looks good... enjoy.

14. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, checking in to let you know how things are going with my new wheels. Filled for the 3rd time the other day. One thing I like is I can go 600+ miles before thinking of filling up. On this 4th tank, I'm consistently averaging over 40, last tank came in at 40.5 mpg, so it won't be long before I get my lifetime average over 40. I have a trip to FL planned in Nov and looking forward to what kind of mileage I'll get on the open road. I like that that MFI has current trip 1 and current trip 2. 1 always resets back to zero if it's been longer than 2 hours since last startup, and 2 is since it was last reset - which is at every fill-up for me.

There are some 'german' quirks, like at restart of the ICE, the radio doesn't come back on even if I didn't turn it off, and there it a slight delay when you press the nav or radio button, but got used it.

Things I love about the Passat: huge back seat, comfortable power driver and front passenger seats, sunroof, remote start, turns a smaller radius than the Prius v5 so parking in the garage is easier, and passenger side mirror tilts down when I shift into reverse. There's not much to dislike about it, but I do miss not having a rear window wiper. I got so used to having a clear view out the back, no matter the weather. The trunk is also huge, but not quite as versatile as v. I had to purchase a platform setup for the dog in the back seat but not planning on any trips with the dog soon. I have less than 2000 miles on it since I took a 2 week vacation to Europe shortly after purchase. I got to ride in a MB Bluetec Hybrid in Stockholm - that was cool! Why can't we get the cool cars over here?!! I glanced thru 2Fas's updates on his v - sorry to see he's having some problems with his 350k+ miles v, but that's to be expected I guess. I hope his v still has plenty of miles in it.

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We were seriously considering a Jetta Sportwagen or a Prius. The thing about the Passat TDI is that it requires a bottle of urea to inject to keep the emissions of nitrous oxide down.

Was reading that the dealer charges a pretty good fee for the urea refill/change when the bottle gets low. :(

People look for alternative sources for the urea solution.

SCH-I535

16. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Very nice. The Passant TDIs are real popular. I see many on the road, and the majority are diesel. Can't argue with the high MPG and large tank. VW promotes 795 miles per tank. Only downside is the price of diesel fuel. Great to experience different vehicles. That's how I become a Prius owner.

17. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The first thing that came to mind was that the human body excretes urea in urine as a waste product.

18. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    jhinsc

GREAT looking CAR! Congrats!

Thank you for keeping us updated!!! Keep popping back in and giving us updates as your experience grows with your TDI, PLEASE!

It is of great value to hear from someone who KNOWS Prius, to compare it to TDI through- personal experience. I thought the TDI was a very close competitor to the Prius. When I bought our standard Pri a few months back, I looked pretty hard at the TDI. The few things that swayed me more towards the Pri were the higher price of the TDI equally outfitted to the Pri, the higher Diesel fuel price, and two friends that own (few years older) TDI's of different body styles, that both say "there engines are OK but the bodies rattle apart, and repairs are expensive". So when I consider all that, figured it into the overall cost of ownership, Prius won out. Please, take no offense, no intended bashing or brand loyalty here at all, (only owned Toy for months, first Toy ever owned). I can surly understand the desire for the "safest" vehicle after recently going through a wreck! Peace of mind is priceless!

A couple questions? How does the TDI Nav compare to the Toy's Nav? Better? Worse?

When you open your sunroof, does it have a pop up wind deflector to avoid interior noise wind turbulence? Is it a screen, or is it like the Prius where the leading edge of the roof line ramps up? (Just curious, as I think the Pri roof, ramping up is impressive, and much quieter than most deflectors).

How did you make out on price, compared to a Prius?

German engineering---> Das Gut?

Do Please post again! Hopefully, that Fuelly in your signature will stay their up to 58 fill ups on your TDI- for a real side by side comparison!

Take Care - Drive safe.

Beachnut

19. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Something to think about beyond the car when buying.

One advantage of the Prius over the TDI to me was the number of dealerships and thus service when needed. The nearest to my house VW dealers are 50 miles away, the Toyota dealer a mere 3. If I had to have lots of services, that would have made an enormous difference in convenience. Same thing disqualified Subaru. So it was down to Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota as all those dealers are within 15 miles.

Part of the reason I sold my Porsche was the same "distance to a dealer" issues. Not that it ever needed service I couldn't do but what if it did...

Have a friend who has a TDI and loves it but he lives in a 2-million plus metropolitan area and probably has at least 6 dealerships to choose from.

20. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Diesel prices are higher but I can find it for as low as $3.409 here in SC. I don't know about the car falling apart and rattling, the Passat seems tighter and quieter than the Prius v. You can tell when you close the doors, there more of a solid thunk than a tinny hollow sound, especially when you have a passenger who slams the door closed - very rude IMO. It seems like the Nav is a bit better than the v5 base nav since I have Sirius/XM Travel Link with it, but their a 1-2 sec delayed response time when you push a button - something that is well known about VW. I like having the ability to search for fuel prices and giving alternate route info if traffic is clogged up ahead - I'll see how it works when I take my first long road trip. The sunroom does have a small wind screen that pops up and it's actually not bad sound wise when it's open, but I haven't used it much with the high temps recently. Will make use of it during the cooler fall season. Price wise, I ended up spending about $700 more on the Passat than I did with my v5. Sticker was over $34k and got it under $30k. I checked out pricing for both in July when I purchased and there were pretty good discounts on each. The main difference is the Passat SEL looks and feels more like a premium grade car, where the Pri's look and feel like economy cars with a lot of hi-tech hybrid components. I guess it's about the same difference you would see and feel between Toyota and Lexus Hybrids - just my personal opinion. I'll be curious to see how my mileage will compare to the v. On my 4th tank now with 2,200+ miles and will fill up again in next day or two, but last tank came in at 40.5, first time over the 40 mark! I look forward to my fuelly badge showing over 40 soon.
    Edit: I should add that the DTE always shows between 700 and 775 miles - don't have to fuel up as often!