1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

accidental bridge with socket wrench between 2 modules

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Anthony Park, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Anthony Park

Anthony Park Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was undoing the buss bars when the wrench slipped out of my hand and stuck like a magnet between 2 modules... 2004 prius,

i had a rubber mallet which i quickly used to knock it off. there was a spark and some hissing/popping.

1) is it safe to work on it or is a module likely to explode?

2) if not, when will it be? havent seen any explosions, ALL the other screws and bolts are off except the buss bar screws are only untightened.

3) i think i see a couple modules bending

4) in general, is there cause to think fire or some other thing might arise?

I only had the number 3 module to replace now i suspect I have more. what to do?

Gawd Im so effing dumb!!! i KNEW i SHOULD HAVE USED A DRILL!!!!

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If it didn't explode when the short occurred, it's unlikely to explode when there's no current.

Remove and dispose of swollen modules.

This illustrates the need for proper PPE, for chemical, shock and flash hazard.

My father used to say, There's no such thing as a smart accident. Glad you weren't hurt.

Anthony Park likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Make sure the battery is cool when you work on it. Otherwise it'll swell when you unclamp it.

Take off all the bus bars first, that way it'll be safe to work on.

Also if you're wearing a ring, take that off too

4. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never wear any jewelry wrenching after I saw a fellow mechanic working on a battery post with a wrench in his left had accidentally bridge the terminals with his wedding ring........that sucker got hot so fast that it was still steaming when we threw water on it immediately after the accident. We had to cut the ring with bolt cutters because his finger had swelled so badly, very painful to say the least.

Definitely a bad mistake to make, don't do it.

#4 MTL_hihy, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a good idea to wrap up all the tools used in a battery pack with electrical tape. Does not affect there performance and may prevent you from getting hurt.
    Sometimes people get hurt worse reacting to electrical shorts than actually getting shocked. Like falling off ladders or falling backwards reacting from sparking. You have no control of involuntary reactions. Best not to create them.