1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accidentally left my daytime running lights on...

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rhita Colby, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Rhita Colby

Rhita Colby New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I accidentally left my daytime running lights on today for about 6 hours. My car is fairly new - only a month old. Will this drain my battery? I have driven it several times since I noticed it but am wondering if it will drain within the next few days. Had that happen on a non-hybrid vehicle when I left the interior light on all night - battery died a day or two after that. I know the batteries on the Prius C are different than in non-hybrid cars though I admit I don't really understand what's inside my Prius. I've read the owner's manual but in all honesty, it's pretty Greek to me. Seems like it has both an electric battery and a "regular" battery. Anyone know if I've done some major damage to it?

2. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it started up, you did fine. Don't the DRL's turn off automatically? Check the manual for that. On the Prius hatchback, they turn on and off automatically if you have them selected on the lights control rod.

Prius has a small starter battery, same as regular car, if that goes down, it freaks out the controls on the car and that causes issues.

CMJAnew likes this.
  3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I want to say there is a timeout function. The lights turn off about 10 minutes after you power off... if I remember correctly. I know I've read it on a few threads.

4. karabits

karabits Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The DRLs go off automatically when the car is shut off. No damage done.

docsnavely and Dylan Murphy like this.
  5. Rhita Colby

Rhita Colby New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everyone. I feel so stupid - yes, they turn off automatically when the car is off. I didn't realize that but tested it this morning after reading your posts. So I guess I didn't actually leave my DRL on after all. Thank you again!

CMJAnew likes this.
  6. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Also, just for you information: The regular headlights don't turn off automatically when you shut off the car, but they will turn off after 20 minutes in order to prevent you from draining your battery! :)

RocMills likes this.
  7. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Karabits is right, the DRLs take care of themselves. I never put my headlights in the off position, always just leave them at DRL.

iSphinx, ewaboy and firstrival like this.