1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accidentally let air into thr radiator hoses?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by suirPPrius123, Dec 28, 2020.

1. suirPPrius123

suirPPrius123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was changing my headlights the other day and I disconnected the circled radiator hose in order to gain access to the headlight.

I turned the car on to make sure the headlight worked and then i turned the car off and reconnected the hose.

Flash forward 3 days to today, on a 300 mile trip, after 80 miles the car started overheating. I opened the hood and there was coolant sprayed over the car, seemingly having come out the escape valve on the coolant reservoir.

The coolant level was now at the "low" line, so i filled it to the "full" line.

An hour later the car was overheating again, i stopped and noticed the same spray of coolant in the engine bay. I re-filled the coolant, and an hour later the same thing happened.

I think what happened is I accidentally let air in to the coolant system and now maybe it needs "burped"? Does that sound right? And if so, how do I do that?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you sure you put the hose back correctly? The clamps are in place? You should check carefully on where the coolant is spraying out of

3 overheating episodes with a 2010 is just asking for trouble. These cars have a weak head gasket.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That hose is part of the normal coolant circulation loop. It should not be leaking. If it is leaking you have to fix it. When the thermostat has opened you can see the circulation entering the reservoir through that hose. I would be concerned that your water pump or the radiator fan has failed.