1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

accidentally reset my gas gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by XNak20, Jul 7, 2014.

1. XNak20

XNak20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all, I accidentally reset my gas gauge, at least that's what I think that's what it's called, where it tells me how many miles I've driven since filling up on gas. My question is, does that also reset the gas bars as well? I know I had 50 miles when I reset it, so at 150 miles on the new gauge I've driven 200 miles since my last fill up. If it does reset the bars, how would I know when to fill up? Hopefully this all makes sense

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It does not reset your gas gauge bars. If you want, you can fill up now and start all over.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All you did was to reset the trip odometer, the guess gage is working as it is supposed to. Some of us think the guess gage is just that, a guess. Best to fill up at 2 pips. At 1 pip, you are pushing it. At 1 pip flashing, better buy gas now. You don't want to run out of gas in a Prius. If you ever do, it will take at least 3 gallons of fuel to get it running again. And if you run down the big battery to where it won't spin over the engine after you ran out of gas, your Prius will have to be towed to Toyota and Toyota will have to order in a special charger to charge up the traction battery. With all that said, it is not a good idea to run out of gas in a Prius.

Have fun, enjoy your Prius. Just remember to put gas in it and check the oil too.

Peace,
    Ron (dorunron)