1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accord Hybrid drive - as good as Tesla

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by Troy Heagy, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    interior - Leather; better than the Tesla I drove (which was just cloth)

sound - extremely quiet in the EV mode. Even when the engine turned-on above 40, I didn't hear it because it was quieter than than the road noise

braking - smoothest of any hybrid I've driven. Instead of a sudden "nudge forward" like the Prius does to its driver, the Accord was very gradual with 1 bar of braking then 2 bars then 3 bars and so on. Very similar to how my Civoc and Insight braking works but refined.

MPG - no idea. The sales guy wouldn't let me take it on the highway. In the short trip around the town it was 40, which I thought was very poor. (It was mostly electric so little gasoline consumed.)

Did not buy. I was in a bad mood being denied highway test. Plus $35,000 (or 29,000 base) seemed steep verses other 35-45mpg cars currently available

Interior - leather; better than the Tesla I drove (which was just cloth & twice the price)

sound - extremely quiet in the EV mode. Even when the engine turned-on above 40, I didn't hear it because it was quieter than than the road noise

braking - smoothest of any hybrid I've driven. Instead of a sudden "nudge forward" like the Prius does to its driver, the Accord was very gradual with 1 bar of braking then 2 bars then 3 bars and so on. Very similar to how Honda IMA braking works but refined.

MPG - no idea. The sales guy wouldn't let me take it on the highway. In the short trip around the town it was 40, which I thought was very poor. (It was mostly electric so little gasoline consumed.)

Did not buy. I was in a bad mood being denied highway test. Plus $35,000 (or 29,000 base) seemed steep verses other 35-45mpg cars currently available

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Accord Hybrid sounds like a sweet car, but a tough sell. About $4,000 extra from EX to base hybrid, or EX-L to hybrid EX-L considering upcharge in MSRP and tax added in. Much smaller trunk and no folding rear seat, unknown long term reliability, very tough sell.

Nice blue lights come on around the center gage when opening door. Driver's seating / position seems excellent. Nice looking wheels, about the best I've seen on any hybrid.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why did you repeat all your points?

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Because, as a Camry Hybrid competitor, he wanted to make Accord Hybrid look all that much better :)

cwerdna likes this.
  5. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My understanding is that the less expensive version of the Camry hybrid goes for $26,140, while the base version of the Accord hybrid goes for almost $30,000. I know that the Accord is supposed to get 50 mpg as opposed to about 40 mpg for the Camry. What is the payback on the extra $4000 or so, given that gasoline is going for about $3.50 per gallon? Are there any ways in which the options or standard equipment on the Accord base hybrid are superior to those on the Camry? I have never been a Honda driver, so I am curious about whether there is a good reason to pick the Accord hybrid when I replace the Prius (I'm uncertain when that will happen).

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ok, let's clear things up ....

The 2014 Camry Hybrid LE (base model) is $27,140 with the destination fee added in
    Build a Toyota | Build a Custom Toyota Vehicle Package LE
    but add on carpet mats will cost another $200 roughly.

Base Accord hybrid is just under $30k sticker, like $29,965 with destination fee. That includes carpet mats.

but, the LE has fugly steel wheels with tacky plastic wheelcovers over top.
    The base Accord Hybrid has some sharp looking alloy wheels, no wheelcovers.

Also, the base Accord Hybrid has a very nice 10-way adjustable power driver's seat. The fabric is decen't, but I have GT Covers genuine leather covers on fronts of my Prius, and the quality is very nice. They can transform those fabric seats for about $400 per row.

Camry Hybrid LE has a 6-way manually adjustable dr. seat. You want to take a chance that manual seat doesn't have the right tilt and there's nothing you can do about it?? Want too much leg pressure or not enough leg support?

Accord Hybrid center gage is very attractive. I've only seen it light up in blue when opening the door, but it is like said very attractive. Camry Hybrid gages are quite bland.

Also, ask yourself is you're ok with a steering wheel in Camry that is not inline with the driver's seat. Sight the seat seams up to edges of the wheel or sit behind the seat with headrest off, the wheel is offset. It bothers me and I wouldn't buy such a car. The Accord's is centered (inline) with the seat.

Camry Hybrid trunk is a bit bigger than Accord Hybrid and Camry has a fold down seat and small pass through.

I don't have anything against the Camry, no agenda or bone to pick with it, I just don't like it all that much. And I've rented and driven it a couple times or so.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In addition to the alloy wheels and power seat, the Accord has:
    LED daylight running lights
    Heated outside mirrors
    8 inch v. 6.1 touch screen, have to get Nav for larger screen on Camry and it is only an option on the SE and XLE
    SMS text message function
    Lane watch, which is the side camera for lane changing
    A smidge more passenger space

8. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks, but really none of that seems important to me. For instance, I have no desire for text messaging because only a fool would text message while driving.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the important thing is the fuelly track record. should be reason number one for buying a hybrid, imo. plus toyota reliability history. we got 42 mpg average from boston to orlando, mostly 70 mph in our '13 hycam and currently sitting at 46 mpg around town, 475 miles on this tank, mostly with a/c on, 2-4 people.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

You don't even know what it is. I'm sure the system recognizes your speech, then sends it out as a text or vice versa, takes in a text and says the message to you. This system could keep a lot of people from texting on their phone while driving.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And after having it, SKS isn't important enough for me to upgrade to a higher trim. Because a feature isn't important to an individual buyer doesn't make its cost zero though. The alloy wheels alone will cover a good chunk of the price difference between the Accord and Camry. Considering the vehicle class, they might actually have a higher value to a potential buyer. The listed MSRP appears fair considering you get more for the extra cash spent.

The issue is whether Honda dealers are reasonable with the price when it gets on their lot.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Had quite a long chat w/ sales manager over a base Accord Hybrid today, while my Prius was getting recall service.

Supplies are very limited on Accord Hybrid now. They get a couple or few a month, so getting your color and all would be quite the wait. And there is demand for the car.

It was in showroom and we powered up the gages. Very attractive. Nice blue, green and red accents on the displays around the analog speedo.

There is no spare tire in Accord Hybrid, only a flat repair kit with pump and I guess goo it squirts into tire to seal the flat. Could be a tad scary crossing dessert into Nevada, being out of cell phone range. I do not know, word is more models of cars are coming w/o spare tires and that includes conventionals.

Cute car though, the Accord Hybrid. I'll bet it is so much quieter and all around nicer to drive than my Prius. I won't get to find out. Honda is not doing joy test drives at this point. When they get more stock, a test drive will be more doable.

13. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    if you are looking at that much money, try the Toyota avalon, or lexus hybrid. we have a 2012 camry xle hybrid and it drives great.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In an Accord PHV thread there was a photo of the window the sticker where the dealer added on $4000 just because they could. Not that other brands dealers don't do such, but Honda ones seem to be prone to it. Maybe they have to pad the bottom line for not being able to sell to fleets.

15. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    on fuelly the 2014 accord hybrid gets about 42mpg with 20 cars. on the camry hybrid only 1 2014 with 49 mpg 90% city and 13 2013 getting 38.5.

We get right at 40 mpg with 75% hwy, I doubt the accord will get any better than that with similar driving cond. just because a car is supposed to get a certain mpg. I dont believe untill I see some results. so buyer beware! often epa is way optimistic like on ford hybrids getting 47 and they actually get about 40

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hycam still has a spare, for now.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I've seen quite a few Honda dealer window stickers, but can't say I've seen a bunch of Honda markups. South Bay Honda had a $900 protection package on their one HAH in stock which included door and fender edge guards and an upgraded security system. mgr. explained they sometimes do that on limited availability cars.

and yes, in true Honda fashion, they are missing a few features like a fold down rear seat and spare tire, but the details and layout are precise. The car looks very high quality inside and out and under the hood.

I hope to get a test drive in this year on one.

18. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully they don't markup the regular hybrid like they did to the plug in...[​IMG]

cwerdna likes this.
  19. southjerseycraig

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes, but the problem is that people can't talk and drive in a risky situation at the same time. *Much* research has shown this. So what you say is irrelevant.

20. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So is the Plugin Accord eligible for the full $7500 federal credit like a Volt, or is it limited to 2500 like the Plugin Prius?