1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accuracy of the fuel gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Richard P, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Richard P

Richard P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I filled my car 4 times since I have it and I noticed a slight difference between what the computer gives me as the average fuel consumption and what I get when I use the data from the odometer and the liters required to fill the tank.

I guess that this gap might be caused by the imprecision of the fuel gauge. If I forgot the first data (Breaking period) the difference represent a 4 to 6 % drift which is "acceptable".

What is a little disturbing is that the last time I filled the tank, the computer estimated the "Distant Until Empty" to be 23 kilometers (which should represent 1 or 2 liters with a fuel consumption of 4.5 L/100Km) but It took 36,2 liters to fill the tank which has a 45 Liters capacity. I should have been able to drive for another 200 Km with the remaining 9 liters !

What might explain this gap and what should I do with it ?

2. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Richard,

There is a whole thread on this subject here.

The difference you see is in line with what others report.

I'm now at 4800 km (went to les ÃŽles-de-la-Madeleine on vacation) but still have to enter my gas receipts in a DB to see how it looks like.