1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acetone damage on plastic?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusmatty, Aug 1, 2016.

1. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I made a stupid, stupid mistake. I sprayed some 3M Scotchgard on my cloth seats, and accidentally got some overspray onto the rear right inside door panel, the plastic. Needless to say, the acetone in the spray left some splotches that look terrible. Is there any way to fix this, or evan make it look better, without replacing the entire door panel (which is way out of my budget)?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm pretty sure you're ok. I've used scotchguard on previous cars, for sure over sprayed onto plastic a bit, no lasting efffects. AFAIK there isn't acetone in it. Is there a caution on the can??

Merkey likes this.
  3. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Hmm well, acetone or not, it scarred the plastic. I cannot get it off with scrubbing and warm water and mild soap. The can? lol I honestly did not read about warnings. Bad me. Anything I can do to get rid of it?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure then. It could be different plastic; there's been some mention of Prius plastic being plant based.

Check with dealership? They're sure to have experience applying upholstery protectorants.

Hope it works out.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it was acetone, then perhaps some oils or something got stripped from the plastic. Soap and water likewise cleans and removes stuff.

Have you tried a product like Armor All or similar to condition/restore any glossifiers possibly stripped from the plastic?

6. kndy

kndy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    priusmatty, can you post a picture of the splotches?

7. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I will take pictures tomorrow. I contacted my dealer: a new interior door panel will cost $450!! Armor All helps it a bit, makes the splotches almost disappear, but they are certainly still there. I will post some pics tomorrow.