1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acetone works!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PASNGAS, Mar 2, 2006.

1. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

What ever came of this?

2. LoveBeingGreen

LoveBeingGreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I came across the topic in a recent Car Talk column, and the practice was most vehemently NOT recommended. Further info at:

CarTalk January 2006 Acetone Article

I wouldn't try it! :(

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you kidding? It has a GREAT fruity smell OKAY!?!?!?!?!?!

:blink: :wacko:

CELESTE NOT MOLEST! OKAY!?

4. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey WindString - I'm glad you're experimenting with this. I've read over a lot of the posts you sent, and they do seem to be a lot more founded than than a lot of the negative feedback you've been getting. I've got a couple of comments that I hope will help..

1) I'd recommend diulting the acetone in a 1g or 2g gas can first, and pouring from that - that would greatly alleviate any risks of paint damage, but it's also a hassle...

2) It would probably be better to test the acetone/gasoline solutions at higher temperatures and with some real engine parts - but that does sound kind of dangerous.. I'm sure Prius injector O-rings cost about $2 - probably the best plastic to test with - it's in your engine...

Hope you're having a good vacation!

Dave

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

This again is "Tom and Ray".. if you look back at my post # 13 of this thread, you will see I also found thier article when I first began to research this issue, and it seems they are the only ones on the whole net that really speaks out against it and they are overwhelminly outnumbered by so many others.

Although their articles are interesting... they are not fact and merely opinion and personal caution like so many others have given.

We need to see some confirmed cases where acetone has ruin't the engine or gas system.

I still see nothing in the way of facts except positive.

Some do claim they don't get any increase, but many areas of the country are running ethanol which kills the effectiveness.

Based on what I see, we need gas free from alcohol to really get the acetone benifit.

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

It may when it is still liquid... but if you spill it on your hands.... in a few seconds it evaporates and leaves no trace that I noticed....

Do that with gasoline and you will be stinkin!

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    um. liquid doesn't smell like anything. the only reason you smell anything is because it's vaporized in the air as a gas.

acetone won't leave a smell behind AFTER it's evaporated and dissipated.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

your right.... liquid doesn't burn either!

9. SteveT

SteveT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Geez. You'd think we were talking about putting sugar in the gas tank. But that would not get people as upset as something that might possibly maybe kinda sorta affect something somewhere in a way that we don't know anything about.

Personally, I am not going to do it, not because I think it will do damage, but because it would be a small PItA, and there is too much about it that I don't know. I am more worried about the health affects (on me) and increased emmissions through evaporation, but I admit, I know very little about it.

If Windstrings or others come back after several months and say it has an effect, I may reconsider and go looking for more info.

BTW, I like Tom and Ray, but they are not always right. They told a caller a couple of weeks ago that using BioDiesel required changing the fuel system, addding a tank, heating the engine before switching and then switching back before shutting down. That is Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO). Bio-Diesel is a direct replacement for Diesel fuel aproved by all engine manufacturers.

Steve T

10. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't do that either :p

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well you know the old saying "every man is right in his own eyes"
    And we all feel we must defend our stand....

But time will tell if it works... I really have no concerns about damage.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I run a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil in the gas tank everyother month...
    it improves the mpgs..

13. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have always seen marvel mystrery oil in the store and have wondered what is up with that stuff.

What is your mpg improvement?

I hope not to offend but how old are you? How did start using MMO

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I run the MMO I find improves by 2-3 mpg adding the od to the pump..

My father has been using MMO since the 70's I have tried others but have yet to notice a diffrence...

My age? lol must be the Muppet Thug avatar... "When muppets go bad" that makes you ask...

Im 37 <_<

15. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is putting MMO in the gas tank the only thing to do with it?

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No read below:

HIT THE CAR WITH YOUR BEST SHOT

Marvel Mystery Oil Unveils A One-Shot Stop
    CHICAGO-Marvel® Mystery Oil is taking the mystery out of how much of the product should be added to each tank of gas. With its new packaging, the same great formula will now come in convenient, easy pour, one-time use, "one-shot" containers.

"People know Marvel Mystery Oil can be added to the fuel or oil to make their vehicle run more efficiently, but they're not always sure how much to add when filling up the tank," said Kristi Chapetta, Marvel Mystery Oil marketing manager. "We developed the One-Shot, pre-measured container, so consumers can easily add it to their gas tank when fueling-up."

Marvel Mystery Oil not only increases gas mileage, it also cleans fuel pumps and injectors, combats internal motor rust and corrosion, lubricates valves, piston rings and upper cylinder walls - all things that prolong the life of a car and increase resale value. Think of Marvel Mystery Oil as the energy drink for your engine.

The pre-measured One-Shots come in handy four packs to cover you for a full month and keep your car running at peak performance. With the new One-Shots, Marvel easily becomes part of your pump routine. Each time you fill-up, pour it in and toss it out.

In addition to the One-Shots, Marvel is available in a Lubricant Spray, Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer, Air Tool Oil and Super Gas Treatment.

" Marvel Mystery Oil Lubricant Spray - Now in a new trigger spray bottle, it easily coats metal surfaces and tools. Lubricates small close fitting parts and penetrates through rust and corrosion.

Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer - Effectively extends engine life by preventing viscosity breakdown, oil thinning, oil consumption, engine wear and oil leaks.

Air Tool Oil - Prevents rust formation while providing positive lubrication for smooth starting and longer tool life. Assures maximum performance by dissolving gum and sludge that cut down tool speed and reduce power output.

Super Gas Treatment - Extends engine life by cleaning and protecting entire fuel system. Increases fuel economy and fights gas line freezing. For more information about Marvel Mystery Oil products please visit www.turtlewax.com.

About Marvel Mystery Oil Formerly a product of the Marvel Oil Company, Marvel Mystery Oil was developed in 1923. It gained notoriety for its ability to minimize engine wear and improve gas mileage. Its popularity spread with the Federal exhaust emission regulations and the importance vehicle owners were placing on car maintenance.
    Acquired by Turtle Wax ® in 1999, the brand continues to be one of the best known names in its field, with its make-up still a "mystery."

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually did try an "acetone tank", about 1.5 - 2 oz in at a
    fillup, late last summer. It didn't seem to do squat for me, so I
    gave up.
    I did do a bunch of testing by rubbing an acetone-wetted finger on
    various fuelsystem related parts, notably the big rubber flange
    around the filler -- figuring that it was likely to be the same
    kind of rubber used elsewhere. Only after observing that that
    didn't have any short-term effects, at least, did I feel at all
    confident pouring the stuff down the filler ... followed immediately
    by the gas, to thoroughly dilute it. Felt like a risk, and I was
    somewhat relieved that it didn't seem to do anything.
    Frankly, windstrings is being way more of a guinea pig, and maybe if
    his [?] fuelsystem falls apart in a couple of years we should take
    up a fund just for the satisfaction of KNOWING all the longterm
    outcomes that will doubtless be documented here. [Right??]
    Oh, and the right tool for the job: glass turkey baster, used as a
    large pipette.
    _H*

18. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think. acetone should be used for sniffing YAY!!!

19. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ROTFLMAO.... this discussion is so funny it should be in the HOP forum.
    Never mind.... I am about to try three tablespoons of sparrow urine with every tankful of gas. I've been told it reduces engine friction problems by 1.07% over the lifetime of the car. :lol:

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've already tried sparrow urine, its way to hard to get and leaves a nasty stink on your hand if you spill it. I couldn't see any benifit either, so I'm gonna try elk urine next.. you can buy it at Gi-Joes.