1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acetone works!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PASNGAS, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What do you mean? An African or a European Sparrow?

2. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Hey Tempus, That's my line.
    Note my Rediculous avatar you silly English Pig Dog!
    Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

Hey Windstrings... Having worked with Acetone for many years, I know that it is serious stuff, but at the dilution level you're talking about, I don't see an issue with it's corrosiveness. What I'm wondering is, how do you keep it from vaporizing before it gets to the combustion chamber or even before it gets into your gas tank? Won't it just evaporate when mixing it up, or boil away in the tank or fuel lines?

I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm genuinely curious on how to overcome this.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    !! RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY !! before he brings out the can can dancers!! :lol:

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the same way a coke doesn't loose carbonation in a closed system, until you open the cap. The carbonation is mixed in the coke until it is afforded a place to escape, then it removes itself from the liquid and becomes gas.

If anything could boil or evaporate, you would really smell the gas as it did... but nothing can escape the system.
    Gas has many elements that could vaporize and dissappear if allowed... but I'm guessing the acetone stays mixed and does not try to separate from the gas while in the closed system.

BTW....
    I'm still scratching my head as to whether I am getting better mpg... the weather here got colder too and that only frustrates the test.... also I'm pretty sure all the available gas in our area has ethanol in it or rather alcohol, and I understand that kills the effectiveness of the acetone to save mileage.

But I'm only about 110 miles into this tank, and temps are still cold, so its far to early to tell the scoop yet. It may not be till summer when we can get alcohol free gas to really see the difference for sure.

5. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi All,

A long time ago I saw an episode of The Bionic Woman TV Show (at least I think that is where I saw it) which concerned a group of people who were claiming to have received amazing new technology from a flying saucer. They invited a group of believers (read that rich people who wanted to get richer) to see a demonstration of an amazing "mystery fuel" that when added to a gallon of plain water would allow a rusting heap of a car to run.

Well, sure enough the clear liquid that they added from a small glass bottle to the fuel tank did its job and the car ran like a top. Amazing.

Now, you may wonder why I am retelling this story to you all. Well, I'll tell ya, it turned out that the flying saucer that they claimed to have been in communication with was faked (imagine that!) and the people who claimed to have been in contact with the aliens were crooks and con men (shocking, I know) and the mystery additive was... wait for it... ACETONE!

Yup, it would indeed allow that engine to run and then it would burn up and die ultimately.

Of course Jamie Sommors saved the day and prevented these bad folks from bilking poor old innocent people out of their life savings and the episode ended happily ever after.

Now, a word from our sponsors. Here in the real world, where I live (at least most of the time) it seems to me that an improvement as minimal as 1 - 3 mpg would be far to little a benefit for such a prospective risk.

Sure, it may work swell. And sure, your fuel system may even benefit from such a thorough cleaning. And sure an enema now and then can do a human body a world of good. But, an enema a day would seriously compromise your internal plumbing over the long haul and trying something like this will, I am quite confident compromise a Prius' internal plumbing over the long haul as well.

Make sure your tires are properly inflated and balanced. Make sure that you don't carry any unnecessary extra weight in your car. Keep the exterior clean and shiny (a clean polished surface will actually help to improve the mileage of almost any vehicle). Use good driving practices, no jackrabbit starts, no panic stops, leave with enough time to get where you are going traveling at moderate speeds (55 - 65 mpg) without feeling the need to speed. Don't drive with your windows down. Don't add mud flaps or otherwise compromise the streamlining of the vehicle's design. Try various routes to and from work and home to find the one that allows for the most optimal terrain for fuel efficient practices. Learn to hypermile. And I am certain that the results you get in increased mileage will far out strip what the acetone additive may or may not be offering at far less potential risk.

I am just guessing here, but I bet that Toyota watches these boards pretty close and if they get wind that people are putting additives into their gas tanks you can bet that if it ain't in the small print of how to void your warranty yet it will be soon.

To anyone who wishes to test out the acetone additive on their car, I pretty much say better you than me. Of course, I also would not be willing to hang my body from large fishing hooks in order to experience the endorphine rush it is said to offer as well. To each his (or her) own.

I have found that the more attention I pay to how I drive my car, the more my car rewards me with mileage increases. Coincidence? I think not.

Oh, and I heard that skunk spit when gathered at the full moon in a natural sea sponge will turn the factory fabric interior of my car into rich corinthian leather if I add 2 ounces of it to $2000 when I hand that to my dealer and then park my car on their lot for two weeks waiting for it to take effect. Hmm... might be worth it afterall.

Take care all and have a super day!

Tisza

6. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wha wha....I don't know that! YAAAAAAAAaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sorry couldn't resist... ;)

7. benighted

benighted New Member

You've been testing acetone for almost a month now. Do you have any updates for us?
    Also the weather is getting warmer, my econmoy has gone up by 3 MPG's in the fast few weeks (49 to 52+) so take that into consideration when you post your findings. B)

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I can tell you what I know..... its been very confusing.. out weather has gone up to 70 and back down to the 50's again.. this area sucks for weather consistency... other than it rains every day.... over 31 days in a row now.. we broke another record.

The E10 we use I think makes the test difficult.... I was getting 44.5ish on a new tank without acetone and about 200 miles into the tank I put acetone in and reset my average indicator and I held 48 for about 3 days... now its at 45.5.. but the weather got colder?
    I wanted to rule out differences in gases from different vendors so thats why I did the middle of the tank test.

I'm letting my wife run without it this time to see if she gets as good or better mileage than me in her prius... but the tests are still inconclusive..... I am sure that its not worse.... I just can't tell how much better for sure.

I also played with my carburator from my pressure washer and poured acetone all in it... it didn't hurt any of the plastics.. the float, o rings, or gaskets.....
    So far it appears that anything built to handle gas also handles acetone just fine too.....

I will continue to test...

9. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 2 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]233974[/snapback]</div>
    That makes sense. Have you ever put gasoline in a stryofoam or plastic cup?
    I'll give you a hint, it melts.

Also, I don't think the mid-tank test is the best way to judge MPG. I find that mine changes (usually gets better, but sometimes worse) in mid-tank for no reason at all(less weight?[unlikely]).

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Apr 2 2006, 11:24 PM) [snapback]234058[/snapback]</div>
    Well there may be something to that, but is seems the variables should be weeded out as much as possible... I don't always buy at the same place... they all bounce thier price all over the place.

I read the ethanol supply can't keep up with demand.... thats one reason for the gas increase in prices.... I would love to get rid of ethanol.... so I can do some decent tests.....

11. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 2 2006, 11:41 PM) [snapback]234062[/snapback]</div>
    I could believe it after all of this GM "Why be Yellow?" hype. Though I don't think we should get rid of ethanol at all.

12. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Apr 3 2006, 02:40 AM) [snapback]234073[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I'm sure Windstrings was speaking of getting "rid of ethanol" from his tank for the sake of his own fuel economy. At least I hope that's what he meant.

Actually, I can't wait for ethanol and or bio-diesel hybrids - wait till the batteries are all rechargeable hydrogen fuel cells too! As cool a car as the Prius is, we have a long long way to go.

Dave

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveSheremata @ Apr 3 2006, 07:10 AM) [snapback]234118[/snapback]</div>

True... I just want to know if this stuff works for good.... if it gets to where we can't get straight gas anymore, it really won't matter....

I have no problem running E10 per se...I just hate that it gets worse gas mileage, yet they persist in charging me the same if not more than regular gas.

I wonder if they could change the engine and get more energy out of straight alcohol? Maybe increase the compression ratio more and few other adjustments.... I realize it would entail a whole different engine, but if the present ethanol is made with corn... why not go full bore?..... they are going to charge us what they want anyway.... our only hope against that is to have a storage type that last a long time and is big enough, and then draw from the sun or water or wind... those are the only resources I can think of that are free to us all...that we can actually harness with present technology..... maybe some day we can tap into magnetic energies etc.

Hydrogen and the like has to be harnessed packaged and processed and shipped... they still get us on the price and financially we will be in the same boat.

Until we can make our own power ourselves we will not be free.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 3 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]234365[/snapback]</div>
    Well you should be home free because if it has not happened already because of GB it will as of April 1 refill and check millage because you are not in a county that requires E10 in summer. Who cares about the Colombia Valley that is Oregon not US. Pearce, King and Snhomish county require E10 in the summer. We are free! Pore in the acetone and keep us posted.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Apr 3 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]234515[/snapback]</div>
    After april 1 we are no more E10 eh?.... good I have alittle over 400 miles on my tank and two bars left... its getting about time to refill.

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  17. benighted

benighted New Member

I don't see how propane is a better automotive fuel than gas. My dad's paving company has a 2-ton GM LPG(Propane) fueled dump truck and it SUCKS, sometimes it will barely do 30MPH up a hill with a load of dirt or gravel.
    Propane fumes are really bad, they will burn your eyes if you are anywhere near the exhaust and the energy density is much worse than gasoline plus it is a PITA to find somewhere to fuel up the 60 gallon propane tank(it gets about 800 miles on a tank and takes 45 minutes to refuel) Not to mention propane comes from crude oil.

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look around more closely on the pureenergysystems site -- you'll find
    an awful lot of unfounded hoo-ha. But they're really adamant about
    the supposed benefits of acetone, as you've seen.
    Hey wind, how's the experiment going?
    _H*

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 16 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]240753[/snapback]</div>

Well, there is not enough change yet to say anything for sure for sure.... I still keep thinking it works, but I still have the E10 in my area the best I can tell... I still have the 87 octane and the pumps don't say whats in them otherwise?????

This screwy weather here... just about the time you think it may get above 70 degrees, it turns to the 30's again with 2 feet of snow in the mountains.... so the test get all screwed up.....
    What I need is "no ethanol" and reasonably consistent weather.

I really don't think it hurts a thing.... as we have already discussed, there are tons of links that support it and tons that are wary, but NONE that have found any proof in any fashion it hurts anything.
    I really believe its true, alcohol is probrably worse on the system than clean running deposit removing acetone.

I've used it about 3 tanks now and I really think it helps, but I can't give definative confirmation yet since things are so inconsistent.

Its hard to run one way in my car and another in my wifes because she drives differently than I.. I tend to drive faster.... I could switch and go vise versa, but there are so many variables with the weather having 40 degree swings from day to night and from week to week, its tough to know.

I wish some others who live in a more stable climate could test....

My house is on the market and we are poised to move to Texas at any moment..... if nothing else, I will continue my test down there.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alsgameroom @ Mar 2 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]219060[/snapback]</div>
    I believe the greatest environmental benefits are achieved when copious amounts of Acetone is added . . . to the gas tanks of Hummers.
    The sooner the Hummer is disabled, the greater the environmental benefits. :lol: