1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acetone works!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PASNGAS, Mar 2, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Apr 17 2006, 03:05 AM) [snapback]240807[/snapback]</div>
    No I always make a slurry, one pound of granulated sugar, with just enough acetone to make it poor well. It slides down in to the gas tank real easy. I keep a few gallons of the mixture in the back so I can use it when ever I park near a Hummer!

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Apr 17 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]241324[/snapback]</div>

Ohh!!!... you're so good when your bad!

3. unruhly

unruhly New Member

<div align="center">Acetone Myth Busted!</div>
    Last night on Discovery Channel, Myth Busters did an episode (#53) on gimmicks that supposedly improve gas mileage. They used magnets (no improvement), a home made Hydrogen Fuel Generating Cell (didn't work), a Super Saver Carbuerator (no change) and Acetone (An MPG Decrease!)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ May 11 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]253445[/snapback]</div>
    Last night on Discovery Channel, Myth Busters did an episode (#53) on gimmicks that supposedly improve gas mileage. They used magnets (no improvement), a home made Hydrogen Fuel Generating Cell (didn't work), a Super Saver Carbuerator (no change) and Acetone (An MPG Decrease!)

[/b][/quote]

Yea, but how cool was it when they used the tank of hydrogen to start and run the car...until it caught fire anyway!! :D

5. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 11 2006, 08:02 AM) [snapback]253458[/snapback]</div>
    I caught the episode too, I was going to post here but it looks like I was beaten to it. It probably wouldn't have blown up if they hooked the hydrogen hose up to the carbuerator attachment that was on the 'fuel cell' system, they just turned the tank on and pointed the hose into the intake.

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 18 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]241350[/snapback]</div>
    That HAS to be the shortest post you've ever done windstrings :p

7. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Apr 17 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]241324[/snapback]</div>
    Sugar doesn't really disable cars. At worst it can block the fuel filter.
    http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

8. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 11 2006, 11:02 AM) [snapback]253458[/snapback]</div>

Adam's reaction to that was great!!! That's one of the first times he's been, visibly, shaken-up on screen.

Which is surprising considering the time he lost most of his arm hair, an eyebrow, scalp hair.... And his big complaint was that he had a date that night and he didn't want to look funny.

9. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ May 11 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]253445[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

For 2 months I tried the acetone experiment in my 92 Camry and it never improved my MPG. I was very diligent and kept a spreadsheet with sort of details. Unfortunately it failed pretty bad. If you don't get the ratio of the acetone to gas correct it actually decreases MPG. There's some scientific explanation for this but I can't remember it. The only benefit is that the car did run better after my experiment :rolleyes: I think it cleaned the engine.
    My $.02:
    Acetone isn't for the Prius. The stuff may cause long-term problems with fuel lines and rings. You've got one the hottest cars on the market. Don't screw it up for 4 more MPG. Just learn how to drive more efficiently (don't speed, coast when you can, you know the drill). On my 19 mile commute this morning in stop/go highway traffic I got 67 according to the MFD.

b

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 11 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]253508[/snapback]</div>
    Do not ruin one of my most cherished, misspent childhood memories! You mean that the PE instructors and the Principals cars did not die because of, well some persons, whom I do not know or have never seen, nor heard about, and did I say know nothing about, may have allegedly place an unknown hydrocarbon substance in a otherwise open and vulnerable fuel intake opening of a personal transportation device, many, many years ago well after any, and all statutes of limitation have run out?? You might as well try to round up the usual suspects! They all are innocent. I swear it no one was there! Why because it involves chemistry and any and all chemicals am I included in the suspects? I was in another city, or county or was it state. Yes that is right I was in another state.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ May 11 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]253445[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Dang.. I wish I could have watched that..... according to the charts, the mileage does drop if you use too much... did they say how much they used?.. and did the coorespond to the recommeded amounts... ie:
    Roughly 2-3 ounces per 10 gallons?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ May 11 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]253500[/snapback]</div>

thanks for noticing!

Another thing.. did they indicate as to whether the gas they used had ethanol in it.... that tends to kill the effects supposedly because it binds with the alcohol.

I definately cannot affirm any positive improvement in mpg yet... I even started not putting it in my wifes and sometimes skipping mine too.... I don't think I see an improvement... but I also have this ethanol crap too...
    I am going to continue to play with it a bit more.

I will post if I get anything worth posting.

12. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Windstrings: Go to Discovery Channel and check the listings for episode #53. It is the newest episode, so I'm sure it will be run again very soon. They did say what the ratio was when they mixed it, and although I don't remember what it was now, it sounded right at the time.

13. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Mar 10 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]223391[/snapback]</div>
    Forget sparrow urine. Chinese love sparrow spit. You should see the price for it. Makes oil seem like a cheap investment at today's prices. :D

14. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ May 12 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]254408[/snapback]</div>
    Are you talking about "Bird nest soup"? They also love sharkfin. I've seen footage of commercial shark fishermen catching the shark and cutting the fins off, they just throw the carcass back in the water.

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 12 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]254491[/snapback]</div>
    The sharks are still alive when they toss them back into the water. One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. That ones a hot button for me. If only I had command of a 688, the Pacific would be free of those bastards in about 6 months.... But that's just me.

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ May 12 2006, 05:19 AM) [snapback]254024[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't have much luck finding when it plays again.. if you hear.. please let me know.

17. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 12 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]254630[/snapback]</div>
    I'll make a torrent if I can figure out how to convert Media Center files to something useable.

18. benighted

benighted New Member

UPDATE: I figured out how to export it to MPEG-1 format using Nero. It should finish in about 20 minutes or so.

Sorry about the double-post I should have ammended to my previous one.. I thought the board was doing that automatically now?

Ok all done... now for the torrent, the board won't let me upload the .torrent fie

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ May 13 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]254644[/snapback]</div>
    PM me and I can get it from you with AIM.
    or you can email me the torrent file.

20. benighted

benighted New Member