1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acorns in the engine?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bill02888, May 30, 2022.

1. bill02888

bill02888 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

For the last couple of days I noticed that my engine was sometimes running a bit roughly.

Yesterday I went with my wife to the grocery store. While she shopped I stayed outside to check my 2005 Prius. I opened the hood. Acorns fell out! I looked at air filter box. There were acorns laying along the back (furthest away from me) edge. I was in a rush and wasn't thinking clearly. I brushed away a few of the nuts from the back edge of the box, then opened it. I lifted up the air filter and saw a fluffy blob of air filter material -- about the size of a golf ball -- in the bottom. I saw mouse chewing damage to the underside of the filter, but the top of the filter looked fine. I removed the fluffy blob, pressed the filter back in place, then went to put the cover back on. A few acorn pieces made it hard to get the cover back on. I brushed more debris aside and was able to get the cover back on.

I also checked the cabin air filter. There was a lot of leaf debris there, but also 2 acorns. I shook it out and reinstalled it.

While I was waiting for wife I ran the A/C because it was getting a bit hot inside. I saw the traction battery get down to 2 bars, as usual, then the engine started to charge it for a little bit.

When my wife returned to car we started on our way to the next errand. Engine was still running a bit roughly but ... I didn't think too much of it. After a mile -- or maybe 5 minutes -- I saw the red triangle of death, as well as the "turtle mode" icon. I turned onto the next side street. I tried shutting car off, then restarting. The engine sounded like it ran for maybe 10 seconds, then it stopped. I tried to recharge traction battery by shifting into drive, pressing hard on the brake, and flooring accelerator. The engine didn't rev at all!

I had just removed my ODB sensor -- and lots of other stuff -- from my car so I could vacuum it out! D'oh! Otherwise I would have been able to grab codes immediately. I tried stopping and restarting a few times. If I recall correctly, MFD shows engine recharging the traction battery but only until the engine stops after 10-15 seconds. Traction battery is now down to 1 bar.

We called for a ride home.

I wonder if acorn parts fell down past throttle as I drove away from the grocery store! Is my engine damaged? Would acorn bits be lodged somewhere? What should/shouldn't I do next?

I'm trying to plan what to do when I get back to my Prius later today. I definitely want to remove any acorns from the back edge of air filter box to make SURE that none (or no more) fall pass the throttle! I plan to bring a flashlight so I can view the MAF sensor assembly for any debris. After that, I plan to remove air filter box, remove MAF sensor assembly, clean MAF using MAF cleaner. Clean throttle & throttle body using appropriate cleaner (I think I still have some). Try to see down below the throttle body to see if there is any debris that I can try to "vacuum out".

Any other tips/suggestions? Should I not try to start the Prius (again!) at all?

Because traction battery charge is getting low, I think I should have the car towed to a dealer rather than my usual shop, so that they can recharge the traction battery if it becomes necessary. I realize that 1 bar is probably something like 30% so it's not flat -- yet! I'm trying to maximize my chances at getting the issue diagnosed/repaired soon. (It's a pain that it's a holiday in the US today!)

Help!
    Bill

bisco likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well this is not good news at all. Besides the debris and acorns, there could be wiring damage to the car. Rodents usually will chew on the wires and you would be left with a very expensive repair bill.

First order of business, clean the engine bay of all acorns and debris. Then look for damage to any of the wires. And of course, replace that air filter.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i dragged the inflatable pool out of the barn for our grandchildren today, rodents had eaten a hole through the bottom. :(

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now a deflatable pool

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. looks like a hose and sprinkler day

6. bill02888

bill02888 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news everyone!

My wife drove me to my "abandoned" Prius this afternoon. The oil was mid-way up the mark so I added about 1/3 quart. I changed the stinky cabin air filter. Then I cleared remaining acorn bits and other debris from around the air filter cover. Then I opened the air filter cover and replaced the chewed filter with a new filter. Then I removed the air filter box so I could clean MAF (temperature and heater). I did a quick job of cleaning the throttle/bore which was getting a bit nasty. I also lubricated the throttle spring using silicone. I reassembled everything. Then tried to start the car. Traction battery now showed about 1/2 full -- weird, but I know that batteries can do that sort of thing. Engine didn't start. I used Torque Pro. Just one code: P3190. I decided to disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal for about 10 minutes to see if the car would re-try the engine. I reconnected the battery and tried starting car again -- and it started right up! I used the drive/brake/accelerator technique to fully charge the traction battery. I stopped and restarted a few times. With and without A/C. Everything feels fine. My wife followed me to my mechanic so I can have him check things out.

SFO and bisco like this.
  7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    From what I've seen, some manufacturers, including NAPA are making air filter elememts with built-in metal screens.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had this in my gen 3 while it sat getting ready for a new engine after I put everything together and pulled everything out it's had a few more days while I put the body panel pieces and windshield wipers and all this nonsense back in and during that time acorns were getting in the car like crazy I just kept vacuuming them up with the Shop-Vac sucking them out of the windshield wiper tray and all of that almost daily and I'm not really under the tree per se but the Gen 2 was the same they team 10 to get along the back edge of the air filter like towards the fuel injectors or towards the plugs or yeah coils and I'm constantly vacuuming that area up I'm watching to see if they eat anything nobody's ate anything so far they certainly haven't been below the air filter chewing on the back side and when I lift that out I always vacuum out the hole that goes down in the throttle body and the other side of the air filter hole just to make sure I haven't forbid nothing gets in there but I would think an acorn would be able to if it was small enough it could pass through actually it'd get burnt to nothing I mean I've heard of very large ice engines sucking a small boat through and not destroying the engine comes out as liquid metal on the other side not a good thing of course

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow. That's amazing. So many words all together and I cannot make heads or tails of the entire post. My hat's off to you- well done(?)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mild stroke?

11. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When I lived in Germany, I used these ultrasonic repellents to keep martens away from tasty underbonnet wiring:

12. Todd Bonzalez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Looks like I can't post links...never mind :D

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It could be PriusChat and your ad blocker, if you’re using one: it blanks out Amazon links.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's a two-step deal. The PriusChat software looks for any Amazon links in your posts, and turns them into sleazy JavaScript goo.

Then, if you are using any kind of browser extension that protects you from sleazy JavaScript goo, you don't see them.

If you construct your own explicit link, like here's a marten deterrent, it doesn't get turned into sleazy goo, and then people can see it.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  15. Todd Bonzalez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks to you both. I see what you mean...I never guessed a simple link would be redrawn like that - I just assumed I didn't have the privileges, what with being a noob and all. I'll remember for next time ;)

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On my phone I couldn't see the ad. Now on a PC, I can. And I have ad blocker on both. Ah well.

17. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably a good idea to clean the snorkel tube out...

18. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    More likely just speech-to-text without any editing. Pure "stream of consciousness".

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would stop the flooring the brake pedal then flooring the gas pedal to charge the battery up. Not necessary and stressing the engine and trans out.

Just hold the brake down and gently press the gas pedal till the engine starts.
    Not much past idle. Then hold it there. That’s it. It will charge the battery up just fine.

looks like the car is stored outside which means the 12 volt battery well is full of water and rusting out. All G2 s leak when raining just a question of how much. Take the 12 volt battery out and address the rust in there. Check under the spare tire too.

20. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don’t have leaks on mine but reading posts from people who do, I’ve wondered if using epoxy paint or rubber roofing tape in the channel where the problematic welds are would help.