1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Across The Country Road Trip Advice.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cproaudio, Aug 17, 2010.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi all,

I have a month vacation in Jan 2011. I usually go visit my sister. This time I'm thinking about driving across country by myself just for the hell of it. I need some inputs.
    A. where should I go? What should I see? I'm starting my trip from So Cal.
    B. what should I bring?
    C. where should I sleep?
    I got about $400 for the whole trip. It's not much but it's all I can afford.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where are you going?

3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Start by adding round trip gasoline costs. $400 ain't enough duuuuude!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    50 miles for $3., 500 miles for $30., 5000 miles for $300., you can do it!:D

5. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can go as far as $200 can get me. The other $200 will be my return trip.

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A month on $400. I couldn't do that just staying in my house with all the lights turned off. Food alone at a starvation allowance of $5 a day would run $150 of the $400. You won't have a refrigerator or stove with you so will have to eat what you buy immediately, which means more pre-prepared food and restaurants. I doubt you'd enjoy subsisting on nuts and crackers for 30 days.

I do not know, see if you can get a friend or friends to accompany you for portions of the trip, help carry some of the expenses. Sharing an adventure adds to its delight. And of course plan as many overnights as you can with friends and relatives who'd be happy to have you for dinner and breakfast, meals you'd have to pay for yourself staying overnight in free but solo outposts.

However you work it out, go for it! Adventures are all the more adventurous when they're not all that certain, but they always seem to work out anyway. And the kindness and camaraderie of strangers turned newfound acquaintance along the way cannot be overestimated.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Calculate 40mpg to 38mpg for interstate driving, not 50. Also reststops are nice. I generally bring a comforter and a pillow with me, makes sleeping fine in any car. When you are tired enough, you fall asleep upright with the seatbelt strap as a neck brace. You can crack a window to keep air going, or in the Prius it takes about a gallon every 10hours to keep the car in READY with the AC/climate-control going.

You might be able to couch surf depending on how open you are. There are sites around the web where you can just crash on random people's couches usually for free. They ask you open your couch up for others in return though.

Since your budget is already blown with food and gas, you will have to see attractions from the outside or just natural attactions. If you are heading east from california, and stick to I-15 to I-70, then you can see some nice parts of Colorado. Ski country in the summer is still packed with activity like mountain biking, fishing, hiking, and lots of camping. Spending a night in your car on the top of a mountain seems nice. :)

Garden of the Gods in nice if you are coming to the Colorado Springs Area. The Denver Museum of Natural History is really good.

Might be able to give more pointers if you tell us what you like to do and what you dont like to do.

Also there is a truck stop on I-70 (I think, might be I-80) in one of the I states Iowa/Illinois/Indiana that is the "worlds largest truck stop". If you get there, it is then one of those places you can say you have been.

And another also, a lot of trucker stops have showers and stuff in the restrooms. A month in the car, and people will smell you coming before they hear the whirr of the electric motor in stealth mode.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    To live on the cheap, bring camping supplies and stay in state parks. It's always been cheaper than hotels/motels from my experience.

As for food... It's amazing how well you can eat cheaply. Over the 4th of July I went with some friends camping... All of us ate well (very well, actually) for 3.5 days. Less than $9 per person. It's certainly possible.

9. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you can go from costco to costco and get the $1.50 hot dog and drink

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what if you get there and gas prices go up and you can't get home?:eek:

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is always craigslist odd jobs for a few quick bucks anywhere in the US (and the great white north)

12. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Accidentally duplicated post cancelled

13. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good point. Might be worth renting a season or two of the old "Route 66" for some quick pointers (and thrill again to topless travel in a vintage Vette)!

14. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Before I forget. Part of this trip I will be attending CES in Las Vegas from Jan 6th to the 9th. I already have money set aside for that event. The $400 budget is for before and after CES. I also ordered an Enginer PHEV kit so I'll probably have that installed by the time I take this trip. If I get a day off on Oct 9th I'll drive to SF to attend Hybridfest Green Drive Expo and to pick up the PHEV kit from Jack. If I don't have it installed by then, part of this trip will be driving to Troy, MI to pick it from Jack.
    If any PCer live in LV is kind enough to let me crash at your house from Jan 5th to 8th please PM me. It would help extend my trip alot. I can use the hotel money toward gas and food. During CES I usually get up tween 8 and 9AM I take a shower, get dressed and leave by 10AM at the latest. I'd stay out until between 8 and 11PM. After I come back, I take a shower and goto sleep. If I got my PHEV kit installed by then, I'd also need a place to plug in the Prius.

15. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Word of advice: PHEV kit is not suitable for cross-country trips, esp. the Enginer kit. After 30-60 miles (depending on kit) the batteries are just dead weight. I take my batteries out of the car for LD trips. If you don't have the kit installed by the time of your trip, have Jack ship it. You'll probably save enough in gas to pay for the shipping.

[edit]And if you're crossing the Rockies during the dead of winter, better invest in some tire chains.[/edit]

16. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yea I know about the dead weight. I'm wondering how much MPG penalty 200lb dead weight would cost. I'll probably end up carrying 100lbs of stuff for my trip.

This is probably another thread but is it possible to charge the enginer kit using regen? I know there are some strips of fwy that are miles and miles of downhill. For So Cal, from Frazier Park to Southern Bakersfield is about 30 miles of downhill. From Fraizer Park to Grapevine is about 5 miles of 6% grade. I think I can generate about 1kw. From Grapevine to Southern Bakersfield is about 25 miles of mild downhill. I can easily average over 90mpg. I've seen a few threads about people drove 100 miles downhill averaging over 99mpg. I'm thinking of hooking a 1500W inverter to the 12V battery and a switch and hook that up to the onboard 1KW charger. When I see 6% down grade next 30 miles, I just flip the switch on and let the battery charge the Enginer's batteries while I regen all the way down hill. Just a thought.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sorry, i meant, where does your sister live? aren't you going to visit her?

18. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That is 125amps from the 12v battery. I think that would over tax the Prius dc/dc converter that will try to keep the 12v battery charged. I think you do not want to risk burning the Prius electronics up in this process.

Thanks,
    Dan

19. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok so taking the PHEV kit for LD is not a good idea. Can't visit my sister in my Prius b/c the Prius can't swim