1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Activate "Charge Now" outside the car?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by hihybrid, Jul 27, 2017.

1. hihybrid

hihybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We've had our Prime Premium for just over a week now, and are loving it so far. There is a learning curve with this one, including the charging process. I've set a charging schedule for weekdays to begin after our electrical rates go down at 7pm during our hot, hot Oklahoma summer. However, if we plug in after 7pm, the charging will not automatically start. So far, the only way I've been able to make the car start charging immediately is to plug in and then as the light in the charge port is blinking, get back in the car and address the message on the dash display that indicates the next charge event (which is oddly often in the past by one or more hours), and use the "Enter" button on the right side of the steering wheel to activate the "Charge Now" feature. My question is, Is there a way to activate that Charge Now feature without getting back in the vehicle? Some key press combo on the fob? I saw elsewhere that if you press/hold the A/C button on the fob, it will lock the doors and start charging immediately. Is that true? Even if so, there is apparently a prohibition on using the fob A/C feature for 3.5 minutes after the car is turned off. Don't want to have to wait around for several minutes in the garage to start the charging process. There must be a better way!

2. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This has happened to me before too. I suspect it’s because the battery is too hot and the management system simply won’t let it charge until it cools off.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you plug in then unplug and plug in again it should start charging. Also, there are 2 places that you change the time in the car, not sure where but it's somewhere in the manual. Good luck.

alexcue likes this.
  4. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Also if you are attempting to use overnight rates, you may be better setting an approximate departure time of something like 4AM rather than a start charging time. This will most likely sit within your lower rate time and will start the car charging to ensure it is fully charged by 4AM. It won't start charging until it needs to.

But as others have said, you can wait for it to start blinking, unplug quickly and plug back in. This will change it to charge now mode. I do this when I forget to change it to charge now in the car. I have departure times set for winter purposes but haven't bothered to turn them off.

pizzabad and alexcue like this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was born in Stillwater and grew up in OKC and a couple of years in Atoka. I knew there was something wrong when family reunions were the first week of August often in just fan cooled buildings.

Let me suggest using a timer rated at 15A for the L1 charger that came with the car. With our Prime, having a home L2 is nice but depending upon your usage profile, not necessary. I do have a JuiceBox 40 Pro but soon learned it made more sense where I prefer to shop. The shopping center gives me $0.25-0.35 electricity and they get my repeat business.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's one way.

The other is to activate remote A/C. After it runs for 10 minutes, it will be left in "Charge Now".

Personally, I just open the door and hit the center button on the right side of the steering wheel.

Another way to go is to just set it to charge for departure at, say, 7am the next morning. Then it will start whenever it needs to to finish at that time.

pizzabad likes this.
  7. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is outside of your question and you may know it already. As prius from dad said, there are two places you need to set time, without which your car may not start charging as you intended. The clock on the dash is listed at page 185 of the main manual. The system time is at page 67 (indicating where you can access it) of navigation manual.

Seting my departure time for weekdays and weekends works for me the best.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been 102° - 103° (actual) here recently with the humidity to boot. You know it's bad when you have to drive to Dallas to cool off.

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. dave3057

dave3057 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Once I turn the car off, I usually just hit the center button when it shows me the next charge schedule. That way I don't have to walk back around. Not really what you were asking for, but it's all I got.

Pdog808 likes this.
  10. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I do the same thing. Just look for the "Charge Now" button on the large display that will show up for a few seconds right after you shut down the vehicle. If in doubt, turn your Prime back on then off and watch for the button to appear.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I understand the scenario HiHybrid presents, in which the car is plugged in at home after the scheduled charge.

However, I was wondering the exact same thing for a completely different scenario.
    In my case, if I have an overnight schedule but want to plug in at work, the store, etc., how can I trigger the "charge now". It sounds like you all have addressed this with your replies. However, it surprises me a little that there isn't an easier way than to reach back into the car to press a button. Personally, it sounds like Prius From Dad's plug/unplug/plug approach is going to be my method of choice.

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At least on my Advanced, when I shut off the car, the center display has a "Charge Now" button on the bottom. Press it and that's it.

Mark57 likes this.
  13. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Also, if there are no scheduled charging events, the car defaults to charge immediately upon plug in.

TonyPSchaefer and Mark57 like this.
  14. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    the "charge now" comes off as soon as you turn the car off, it's something you'll get used to to respond to once you have a charge schedule set and you are charging e.g. at work, I did at least :). I used the unplug/pug a couple of times when I forgot to push the button ... the other thing to be aware of, the "charge now" might be preceded by the "can the TB cooler be used while charging", so you might have to respond twice after turning the car of.
    It all sounds a little odd what we have to do, but I got used to it ...

15. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is also a charge button on the left side of the steering wheel below the HUD buttons (if you have that). It looks a bit like a clock. You can use this to activate the charging schedule screen and put it in charge now mode. Although again, just unplugging and plugging back in quickly is the quickest way to get it into Charge Now mode.

sfblue likes this.