1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Actual EV miles

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Cacti, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Cacti

Cacti Poleikleng

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How do you determine your actual EV miles for your route? I had read that EV miles are not recorded if you are not in EV mode.

Cacti

2. g4_power

g4_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm also interested in how they calculate EV miles. If you use HV mode to accelerate to cruising speed and then switch to EV to just keeping up a constant speed, I'm sure that in this situation, you would get a lot more EV miles than using EV to accelerate. If you use EV to go down a slope, you'll definitely get more EV miles as well.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you look at your drive ratio's are they not recording any ev miles?

4. Cacti

Cacti Poleikleng

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

When I drive my route to work (129 miles) without constantly activating the EV button when I have a descending grade the drive ratio will indicate approximately 17-miles of EV. If I drive and I constantly activate the EV button when I have a descending grade the drive ratio will indicate 48-miles EV. Same route yet different outcome regarding the EV drive ratio?

Cacti

5. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you don't activate the EV mode when going downhill then you are in HV and the ICE may be running (although not necessarily providing power). I suspect those don't count as EV miles even though you may be using little or no gas. You should be looking at your resulting mpg for the trip with various mode selection plans for the same route each day. That's what counts, not how the computer determines "EV miles".

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the miles you recharge on a decending grade accumulate to the mode you're in and when used, go to that side of the ratio.

7. Cacti

Cacti Poleikleng

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My mpg seems to be the same with and without activating the EV button, initially I would use the EV portion at the beginning and end of the trip and not activating the EV button during the middle section and the mpg range would be 80/85 with the warmer weather . I was really surprised how many EV miles the computer displayed (48) when I manually activated the EV button during descending grades. I also noticed I seemed to regen more range too.
    I think it would be a nice feature to let you know your actual EV miles for any given trip.

Cacti

8. stanwagon

stanwagon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, I live in hilly terrain and can confirm that miles on long hills, when no ICE power is being used for propulsion can sometimes count for EV and sometimes for HV. So the distinction is of some value, but not crystal clear, and all that matters to be is total MPG. Still looking to break 100 MPG for a tank -- 50+ mile trips show up every few weeks making that difficult, but I am getting close.