1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Actual Experience with Hybrid Automotive System?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KSW144, Dec 3, 2015.

1. KSW144

KSW144 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2004 Prius with 145k miles. I have recently replaced the 12v battery, completed the fuel system cleaning service at the dealership, routinely checked the tire pressure, changed the air filter etc...

Our MPG's are in the high 30's with an occasional low 40. We used to be routinely mid 40's up to 48-51 on the highway. My wife is now getting about 37-39 on the highway.

After many years of lurking, and a bunch of searching threads I think our battery is on it's way out.

I'm thinking hard about trying the Hybrid Automotive system for re-balancing/recharging my battery to try to extend the life. I've read a lot of threads with bits and pieces, but haven't found any one place that has specific realistic reviews on whether or not people have seen results. $400 goes a long ways towards a re-manufactured battery, so I'm still a bit hesitant.

Thanks for your responses!

Kyle

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    then again, the remac's are nothing to write home about either.

3. KSW144

KSW144 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea, I've had the thought that just dropping the cash for a brand new one might be the way to go... I'm just not sure we'll keep the car longer than two more years, so I'm not sure a brand new battery is worth the money. I'd love to get this one to last another two....

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's definitely a conundrum. charger that may or may not work, remac that will get you more years, as long as your willing to possibly keep swapping them out, or new, which is 10 years of battery at a higher cost.(n)

5. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Call me a tightwad, but I'm all about not spending any more than I have to. If a reman is done right, it should last a long time. As long as a new one, probably not. A reman along with the occasional balance sounds perfect to me. Especially when all you do is plug it up for a while and let it do all the work.
    Using the grid charger/discharger is not too hard. Keep in mind the fact that the high DC voltage can be very hazzardous to your health. If you feel confident about working with it safely and you have the time and the mechanical aptitude to do it, you can refurbish it yourself. You do have to change out any weak or failed modules. I like using my grid charger a lot more than using the RC chargers. I put a battery in a car with over 200,000 miles on it in Memphis last week that I used it on, and it seemed to do very well. Time will tell.
    If you don't want to DIY, you can have a reman installed, but most likely will void the warranty if you have the grid charger cord installed.

6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This doesn't answer the question, but raises another one. Has anyone else noticed a drop in fuel economy with a failing traction battery? I did not. Before I replaced my car's traction battery (about the same age as the OP's), I noticed very fast charge/discharge cycles, but practically no effect on fuel economy. Most of my driving was on highway.

Based on that experience, I might look elsewhere to explain the drop in mpg, but it sure sounds like you covered the most common causes. Have you changed gasoline to higher ethanol content? Done an engine compression test? Check the brakes? Might want to double-check the health of that new 12V. Good luck.

7. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How long have you been getting that type of mileage? What were you getting before the mileage reduction? I'm assuming you've owned the car for a few seasons and have seen a winter already. The Prius gets notoriously poor (by its standards) mileage in cold weather.

A few things to check before you assume it's the battery (you can throw some of these out the window if you know it's not the issue, I'm just guessing because I don't know the service history):

Tire pressure
    12v battery condition (I know this was just replaced, but that doesn't mean it's functioning properly)
    Oil level (or really, it might not be a bad idea to check all fluid levels)
    Parking brake
    Spark plugs
    Air Filter
    MAF
    Throttle Body

Another note. Gasoline is usually given an additive in warmer months to slow its evaporation. Once the average temperatures reach a certain threshold, the additive is removed. I believe we're past that point now, where the additive is no longer added. I've never noticed a HUGE difference from hot to cold, but I also live in a pretty temperate climate.

8. KSW144

KSW144 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fuel mileage reduction based on the traction battery failure seems to be hit or miss, I read quite a bit on both sides...

No change in fuel, we fill at Costco 99% of the time (we live nearly across the street from it), and have for years.

We have owned the car for 4 years and 58k miles. We've seen the cycle of winter vs. summer mileage, and it always drops in the winter. We were seeing these mileage numbers for some time. We did move and our daily commute trips became much shorter (and I expected our town mileage to reduce), but now I've seen the highway mileage numbers decrease also.

This car does not burn oil between changes, I checked it before the last oil change.
    During the fuel system cleaning service they checked the air fuel ratios after and advised they went from lean to nearly factory spec.
    I have checked the new battery, and it load tested fine per the in vehicle diagnostic method.
    I replaced the spark plugs with these at 120k miles
    Denso (3324) SK16R11 Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 1
    The parking brake is not activated, and no sign that it's dragging.

I have not compression checked the engine, and have considered doing the plugs again in case I have a bad one. I backed off that once toyota said the ratios were looking good, I guess it could be an issue under load.

I have noticed that we get the green bars more easily around town, but haven't noticed the higher paced discharge cycles.

It does sound like the engine works harder now than it used to, and it doesn't feel like we're getting as much assistance from the electric motor. The last trip to our cabin in Central Oregon over the cascade mountain range the battery discharged more than normal, and the ICE kicked in more than usual for just the wife and I, it was like we had two more passengers and gear...

Any other thoughts with all of that in mind? I'm at a total loss... We love the car, if its the traction battery I can live with waiting for it to fail to replace it, if it's something else I'd love to fix it.

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you have no DTC's, your battery is still functioning properly and that is likely not the cause of your low mileage. There could be a myriad of other reasons why your mpgs have dropped. Sparkplugs, brakes, tires, the list goes on. I would try everything else b4 I replaced the battery.

10. KSW144

KSW144 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK. So what about the brakes? What do I check with the brakes? Make sure the tires spin unobstructed? the car is still on the original brakes.

Tire pressure is good 40/38

I can do the spark plugs one more time, should I buy Toyota plugs? Or are the Denso plugs from Amazon I listed considered OK for the Prius?

What else is on the list? Based on my knowledge I have covered the list, minus replacing the spark plugs again.

what I am gathering is the Hybrid Automotive system doesn't seem like a proven method for extending the life of, or rejuvenating an old battery since no one has actually spoken to that?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can go for a drive, then feel the wheels. if a brake is dragging it will be warmer than the others.

can you give us more details on service history and when the mileage started to deteriorate?

12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, the brakes may be dragging or the rotors warped. Also there are wheel bearings, and a myriad of other issues. If you already replaced the plugs that's likely not the problem.

As for the charger rejuvenating the pack, it will do that. I just hate to see you spend $400 on something you may not need. If there are no warning lights, the charger will not fix your mpg problems and neither will a new battery.