1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Actual ICE use

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Tickwood, May 24, 2021.

1. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Is there any way to tell how much the ICE has run in hours/miles or whatever versus the mileage on the car?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you would have had to track it on a trip meter. it's never too late to start

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have not resetted the record since you purchased your car, the Drive Monitor corresponding to the ODO will tell you the "EV Driving Ratio" for the life of the car.

This is not the EV mode driving, but all EV driving including the EV portion of the HV mode when the ICE is off. So, for your purpose of estimating the distance or time of ICE ON can be calculated. However, the Elapsed Time goes back to 00:00 after reaching 99:99, so it is not very useful for a long-term recording. The same Drive Monitor record corresponding to Trip A or Trip B can also be used to monitor the specific trip interval for that info.

For my example below, I had 36341 miles on ODO with 60% EV ratio. Thus 40% of the distance or 1456miles was driven with ICE ON.

upload_2021-5-25_7-57-27.png

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. meeder

meeder Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the EV ratio based on time or distance?

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am almost certain it is based on distance driven, but not 100% sure. Unless you regularly do excessive idling with the engine on, distance or time should come out to be very close.

Note: I think the EV "Driving" ratio is measuring the distance or time the car is being driven on EV. This is when HIS is showing the EV icon. Thus I think the car parked on either on EV mode with ICE off or on HV mode with ICE on does not get included in the calculation.

If you have PP, you can check this by looking at Drive Monitor corresponding to "After Sart". If the car parked is included in the calculation, it should show some number on the EV Driving Ratio other than 0%. If you keep it on EV mode, it should show 100% if it is included in the calculation. Then if you turn the switch to HV mode and start the engine while parked, then the % should lower corresponding to the duration of the time you had the engine on.

I would do it if I had the car, but I no longer have PP. LOL

upload_2021-5-25_10-5-39.png

#5 Salamander_King, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021