1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Actuator difficult bleed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ryan Harrington, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Ryan Harrington

Ryan Harrington Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've heard that it can be difficult to bleed the system after replacing the actuator if the actuator gets air into it. I have been getting bubbles from the right rear and I've run a couple of quarts through the system. Anyone have experience with this?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What have you used to try to bleed it? In Techstream (Mini-VCI is cheap version of it) you have separate bleed function to bleed the actuator.

3. Ryan Harrington

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought one of the cheap cables online. The bleed function fails every time I've tried. So I tried the other method of putting jumper in the port and pumping the brakes and all. Found this method on priuschat. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be working well. I don't know what the problem is... I may call a mobile mechanic to come look at it with me

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1) You have a bad cable, and should have stopped there. Get a working cable and all will be well.

You are using Techstream?

You have the factory service manual?

2) Maybe you should just throw in the towel and pay for professional service.

valde3 likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have certain knowledge that air has entered the actuator, either because you replaced the actuator or you allowed the brake fluid in the reservoir to get too low?

Is it possible that the air bubbles are resulting from air leaking into the wheel cylinder due to the loose bleed valve and a tiny gap between the valve threads and the wheel cylinder? If so, the continued presence of bubbling in the clear vinyl hose is not necessarily indicative of a problem...

How well do the brakes work, after all bleed valves are tightened?

Do any brake system warning lights remain on: ABS, VSC, BRAKE, or ((!)) ?

Ryan Harrington likes this.
  6. Ryan Harrington

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had all of those warning lights on. That's what led me to change the actuator assembly. It was a bit of a process, but I checked the codes and that appeared to be the problem. Now I'm seeing that the new part is leaking brake fluid somewhere. That may be my problem. I'm going to have to try to identify the leak while the actuator is running to see if it was my fault and something I can fix.

7. Mattclay

Mattclay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----