1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adapted Generation 4 shift knob on a Generation 3 shifter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Georgina Rudkus, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Generation 4 shifter has a M8x1.25 thread as opposed to a M6x1.0 thread on the Generation 3. So, the thread is too large to fit on the Generation 3 shifter. Also, the spacing of the thread depth is too deep for the Gen 3.

My retired engineer friend, having another friend who wanted one for his Prius v, made one for his Prius v. Now, another friend, who lives on the other coast, wanted on his 2013 Prius Gen 3 plug-in.

He told me that. in both instances, machining and boring into the nylon on the shift knob required special care, since he wanted a close press fit for the custom made stainless steel threaded insert.

I haven't seen the knob itself, but I am posting a few of the pictures that he sent me. Looks interesting. oblique top view.JPG shifter without knob.JPG insert on shaft wo knob.JPG threaded insert installed view.JPG