1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adapters for mounting leather TRD manual shift knobs to Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike500, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Some of the best looking Toyota TRD shift knobs are NOT available for automatics or Prius models, because they have M12x1.25 internal threads.

Today, I received two of the nicest genuine Prius TRD leather covered shift knobs that I ordered from Amazon.

For nearly two months, I have experimented in making adapters for Prius models from hardened ISO 8.8 hardened steel bolts. These require aerospace grade hardened cobalt and carbide drills and taps to successfully machine. And, the tools are quickly worn out and expended in the process.

Unlike plastic and aluminum adapters, these are the same quality as the original shifter shafts.

The smaller TRD shift knob is the same size as the TOM's, but much nicer to grip than the plastic Delrin or Duracon acetal plastic of the Tom's shown here in the eBay listing.

Toyota Prius ZVW30 NHW20 Tom's Hybrid Shift Knob | eBay

There is one adapter for the recessed thread knob and another for the smaller non-recessed thread knob.

Also, I made several for the Prius"c" and other Toyota automatics with M8x1.25 threads.

Attached Files:

#1 Mike500, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  2. 1228persona

1228persona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Looks great! Especially the TRD 008 picture.

Mike500 likes this.
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks,

The traditional manual shift knobs seem to be made better and more durable than the ones "automatics," since they receive constant hard use while the car is driven.

They also fit in the hand better, IMHO.

The nice thing is that you can take the shift knob off of your favorite vintage car and mount it on either your Prius or another Toyota or other model car.

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't understand the need for that grade material.

Are you saying that the Prius shift selector is that strong?

The gear selection loads have to be tiny.

5. 1228persona

1228persona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Cool! Funny thing was I've actually thought of using a shift knob out of a supra tt. Now I can say I drive my supra year round, well sorta.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In these days of below quality disposable parts, I prefer to take extra effort to make these the best possible adapters.

I've heard of a lot of experiences of those who have "wobbly" shift knobs using cheaply made ill fitting plastic adapters.

A substantial adapter weighs about an ounce. To save 2/3's an ounce by making them poorly is false economy. If it was for a few hundred parts on the car, the weight savings would be significant.

I would rather make a quality piece that outlast the car.

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was commenting more on the hardships and tool wear dedicated to using the 8.8 material.

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm using the durable material, because I have had a great deal of experience in machining tough high performance aerospace alloys.

The material I equivalent to the steel used in the shaft of mechanical manual shifters.

That means anyone using the adapter will NEVER have to worry about a failure.

9. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    I can't see TRD without thinking Turd.
    My shift knob is a Green Glass Doorknob.

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That might seem to come to mind, but TRD takes a while to get used to.

It would be really bad if you get hit in the head with the glass knob shattered? That hasn't happened in 60 years with car designs.

I recall that there was a man who set off the metal detector at the TSA inspection at the airport.

After 51 years, turn signal lever removed from man's arm

He went to the doctor and had a rusted long metal rod removed.

In the 1960's, he had an accident and recovered.

The turn signal lever had come off and imbedded in his left arm. It has been there for over 50 years.

Be careful what you use for car accessories. You might get TeRD in you face. At least you can clean that off. Glass shards are likely to cause more and more permanent damage.

Seriously, here's a listing that available most from Japan.

SHIFT KNOB | TRD

#10 Mike500, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    Starbrand likes this.
  11. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    very nice. thanks for the research and work.

12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thank YOU,

I also did a bunch of work (still in progress0 with adapting manual M12x1.25 manual shift knobs for use on automatic M8x1.25 threads on the shaft on automatic shifters like that used on the Prius"c."

They makes some really nice larger leather shift knobs for manual Toyotas. In my opinion, they are much better than those bulky OEM automatic ones.

13. daneav8

daneav8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How about simply buy one, two or three M8x1.25 nuts and (1) thread them all onto the shifter shaft in the Prius so they are snug against each other. (2) take some JB Weld metal epoxy and apply around were the nuts touch, being careful not to export the nuts to the shaft itself. (3) Let it cure. (4) unscrew the nuts, which are now a single unit. (5) Now simply JB Weld the entire large long nut onto the bottom of the TRD Leather shifter handle or whatever handle you want to use. (6) After it cures, simply thread your new handle onto the shifter shaft, probably using some blue Loctite in the process. JB Weld is super strong and I don't think you will have any trouble with the handle coming off. I'm going to try this very thing for mounting my iPhone.

Correction: Change to read, "being careful not to EPOXY the nuts to the shaft itself."

#13 daneav8, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Epoxy-ing your nuts to your shaft is a bad thing... ;) :D