1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adaptive creep control?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by gallde, Sep 7, 2014.

1. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Has anyone thought of a way to extend the Prius' Adaptive Cruise Control all the way down to stop-and-go operation? It seems to me all that would be needed is to remove the drop-out threshold as the car in front slows, and allow a shorter following distance.

2. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All (most?) cars appear to have around a 25 mph lower limit. I'm wondering if that's a legal requirement for some safety reason.

3. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most cars don't have the ability to apply brakes automatically (be it regen/electric braking or friction/mechanical).

Cars that have automatic emergency braking would technically be able to bring themselves all the way to a stop from highway speed, though it might not be the most graceful (or safe) of operations.

IMHO, there's a pretty big risk in allowing the car to start moving on its own from a dead stop. I can think of several reasons why a person might not want to start moving, even though the car in front has moved, thus the requirement for manual interaction.

Just wait for the self-driving Google cars.

4. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Nope. Subaru will do DRCC down to full stop (however, driver intervention needed to start moving again). The Lexus LS460 does full stop and start automatically.

I wish the DRCC in the more pedestrian models from TMC would emulate the 460, but I'm really happy to have the functionality down to 25mph. I'll never buy another car without it.

5. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Lots of errors. The LS460 full ACC is available in the US, and Toyota's DRCC is RADAR, not LASER as indicated in the article.

7. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Somebody with the knowledge should fix it. ;)