1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adaptive cruise control / safety sense issue

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by xvs, Jul 6, 2017.

1. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That covers just about ever driving condition except ones where it's of no use at all (straight roads with light traffic).

Regardless of these disclaimers in the manual, if they make something that specifically has features to work in stop-and-go traffic, then saying not to use it for that purpose is just absurd.

2. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It works very well for that, except for the extreme braking and the extreme acceleration and loss of fuel efficiency. I find it to be great for everything else.

joachimz likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the next new test for the NHTSA or IIHS is reaction time for DRCC (precisely the situation you had - have the car follow another at 60mph, then have the lead car change lanes and see if the test vehicle can react in time to a slower moving target. Repeat the test at 10mph below set speed and 20 mph below set speed).

4. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Cool, so would make it likely Toyota would update our firmware, or would they just leave it and only fix it in future model years?

Also, do you (or anyone) know if they *can* update our firmware other than having to recall everyone to the dealer?

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Apparently NOT.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's unlikely as it *could* also be hardware limitations.

7. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Back to the thread. I was using the cruise control following a car down a long hill about 50 MPH. He signaled for a right turn and slowed to turn into a driveway. If I wasn't using the CC, I would have just slowed with him and then gone around him. What the cruise control did was to suddenly slam on the brakes as it came upon him as he was making his turn off the main road. The wife asked "Why did you just slam on the brakes!" and I had to reply, "Sorry, just getting used to the car".

Prius from Dad likes this.
  8. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    have observed similar behavior on multiple occasions ... I look at it 2 ways:
    1. the system has its limitations, e.g. it has a "lock" on the car in front of you and "does not know" that car is exiting the road
    2. it is working as designed/described - it is an assistant, not a replacement to/of the driver, posting another section of the manual, read the warning section - i don't mean to be the party pooper, but understand that the system has limitations
    safety sense.jpg

uber2016 and Prius from Dad like this.
  9. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've had the same thing happen, but in traffic. Another car cuts in front of me and the cruise control slams on the brakes, almost causing the car behind me to collide with me in the rear.

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just more evidence that you should ***NOT*** be using the CC in traffic that thick.
    How many recommendations and examples do you need to stop doing that ??

Probably just ONE; the one that puts you on the hook of a tow truck. :whistle:

11. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Right, apparently it is not working as advertised, which is a problem. What's the point of cruise control which goes down to 0 MPH if you're not supposed to use it in traffic that goes down to 0 MPH?

12. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    These are Toyota's advertised use cases for the adaptive cruise control.

Toyota Global Site | Technology File

They include all the cases that people are saying they are having problems with:

- Cars moving in and out of the lane
    "Sensors (a camera and millimeter-wave radar) detect vehicles moving in and out of the lane ahead. This helps ensure smooth acceleration."

- Cars coming to a stop
    "The system slows or stops your vehicle when the preceding vehicle slows or stops. When the preceding vehicle speeds up, the system makes your vehicle accelerate accordingly, until it resumes the preset speed."

- Congested traffic:
    "The system operates at all speeds, enabling to follow the vehicle ahead in low speed. This, in turn, helps reduce driver fatigue even in traffic congestion."

So disclaimers in the manual aside, they are advertising the system as doing exactly what I and others are expecting it to do, and that it's not doing properly.

Krzysiek_KTA and Merkey like this.
  13. Prime8

Prime8 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have found DRCC to be invaluable, but with clear limitations.

I drive long distances on freeways often, and it is great for that use case.

It seems to be too slow to respond to lane changes by other vehicles in front of it, including vehicles departing onto off ramps. Slow, stop and go traffic is a great use case, but the response time of the system is simply too slow. It is slow to accelerate when traffic gets moving, and it is slow to decelerate when I can clearly see traffic stopped ahead of me, which results in very sudden hard breaking(manual intervention has become the norm).

I rarely use DRCC in slow conditions anymore. It works, but lacks refinement, resulting in abnormally slow acceleration and abnormally fast deceleration.

I always use it for long distance freeway driving. Of the 11k mi so far, over 90% is that type. So I use DRCC all the time, effectively, but I don't get the full benefit of driving on electricity all the time like the guys that only drive around their towns getting 199 MPG. They on the other hand will not get as much benefit from DRCC. My lifetime fuel economy is just below 80 MPG, and I will most likely never get it higher since I burn so many miles on gasoline. I find it funny that I am complaining about not getting my lifetime FE above 80 MPG. For me, DRCC is a lifesaver.

LKAS on the other hand will most likely never be used by me in this vehicle. It cannot be relied upon. It triggers when I do not want it to, and does not trigger when I do. Even when it triggers, it is ineffective at preventing dangerous vehicle movement.

All of these tools are intended to help us drive our vehicles. All of these tools still require that we drive the car at all times. DRCC removes some of the burden, some of the time.

14. Krzysiek_KTA

Krzysiek_KTA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Fully agree. I have found that in really slow stop and go traffic (under 30 mph) setting the DRCC one bar distance and set PWR drive mode makes real difference - it finally keeps up with the slow traffic and maintain the distance from preceding vehicle within reasonable range.
    In ECO drive mode DRCC response is way too slow which causes too hard braking when the traffic comes to next stop.

bodgm, CaliforniaPrius and uber2016 like this.
  15. Prime8

Prime8 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I had not considered that. I never take mine out of ECO mode. I will definitely give PWR mode a try next week.

Once again it is the little things that make a big difference. Like when I discovered that EV Auto going down a mountain would bring the ICE on during the short uphill stretches, but my EV range went crazy(85 miles of travel used 24 miles of EV range). 7000 feet of elevation drop can be turned into quite a bit of EV range by this car when use the right modes.

16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And your protests aside, even if it DID work as advertised (mostly), it still would NOT be a good idea.
    And YES it is my business too because I might be right next to you in traffic.

17. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Your attempts to contribute to this discussion are worse than being useless. They are negative amount to being an apologist for however it works, whether as advertised or not.

18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's not my motive at all but I'm not surprised that you don't get it.

The state of "automatic driving" technology is not NEAR good enough to count on it for things like you are describing.......unless your objective is to tempt fate and see how long it will be until you are seriously injured or dead.

AND when one driver takes unreasonable risks, for whatever reason, it puts the rest of us at risk too.
    ESPECIALLY when he tries to defend his unsafe practices and "sell" it to others.

Promoting unsafe actions is worse than being useless. MUCH WORSE.

19. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The discussion is about how this Toyota feature operates vs how it's advertised to operate. Your point, which you raised once but keep belaboring, is that one shouldn't expect it to operate as they claim it will. You said it several times, please stop.

My intention in creating this thread is to compare notes on how this system actually operates and perhaps nudge Toyota to either a) fix it or b) stop advertising it does things it doesn't really do.

The idea that it's not possible for such features to work is just silly. Try driving a Tesla on autopilot. It does all of what Toyota claims their system does, and more.

I'm not interested in arguing with you and this argument is not contributing to the discussion, so please just bow out if you don't like what's being discussed and have nothing to contribute other than saying over and over again "you're dumb for thinking a feature should operate as advertised".

ttait and Krzysiek_KTA like this.
  20. Krzysiek_KTA

Krzysiek_KTA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sam, I think you should ease off a bit. I noticed your arbitrary tone also in other posts replies..... This forum purpose is to exchange observations and thoughts about the car behavior and it's features (at least it was my assumption, that's why I joined it). I see no point of 'tutoring' others what the should do with the car they own and judge how others use the available features.
    At the end of the day it is the driver who matters isn't it? Better understanding of the car capabilities can only help right?
    I believe majority of this forum users try to learn from others and contribute if that is going to benefit others.
    By no means your approach add value here. Sorry to be blunt, but I thought bringing the subject to the merits of knowing the Prime is needed here.
    Enjoy your ride , and when you own Prime - contribute to this forum.
    Cheers

ttait, uber2016 and Prius from Dad like this.